Is there a ?thumbprint? for caudata?

Y

yago

I am wondering if there is any way to identify caudata to prove legal C/B.
The belly patters of some newts change with age, but those this happen with all European species? Exist any other methods of providing a kind of universal “thumbprint or ID” for newts and salamanders? Chips are too hostile and still too big for juveniles and I am wondering if anybody has any idea to sort out this matter. May be the iris patterns?
Quite an interesting theme, isn’t it?

Yago, can you please not use capital letters for all of the letters in your subjects? Thank you.

That is a really interesting answer… just joking. I won’t use them anymore. I had no idea that this formal aspect was not permitted or criticised. Apart from that, any suggestion or comment on the matter?

Field studies have used belly patterns to identify crested newts (as I mentioned elsewhere) over long periods of time- even if the pattern changed, it was usually similar enough to identify the individual. I can give you a reference for a paper on this if you want.

Other methods I've heard of for field studies include toe clipping, dye injection (tattooing, basically) and cutting out sections of belly skin and grafting them back in opposed positions (e.g. swapping black and yellow sections of skin). I'm not sure I'd want to do any of these on my captives, personally. I think I have papers on these, as well.

Hope that helps.

Hi Yago,

You can also use dorsal (or lateral) color patterns for identifying individuals if the belly/throat isn't distinctive enough. With any color pattern you'll have to take several pics during the ontogeny.

Of course, DNA fingerprinting would be possible/suitable but it's still too expensive for routine application.

All the other options mentioned (with the possible exception of dye injection) are too short-lived or risky for ID purposes. Even adult newts won't like transponders - all amphibia are exempt from tagging in Germany (we have pretty strict species conservation laws here).

Best wishes,
kai

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back