Injured Axolotl

Cheylee

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, my main reason for posting this is to see what you guys think. One of my female Axolotls severly scrapped her tail on something. I'm not sure what she did to it but I took her away from her tankmates (another female and male axolotl) and I've had her in the fridge for a few days. Is this the right thing to do? My other two Axolotls are fine and they are eating well.

Should i give her salt baths? To prevent any fungus.
She also spit up an earthworm, that I fed her a few days ago, today. Do you think that this is from stress? I just don't want her to get too skinny in the fridge.

I appriciate All the help that I could get. Thank you.

Attachments

• nubbys tail.jpg
    nubbys tail.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 280
Fridging isn't necessary, they heal very well if they have good water parameters. Being her out of the fridge and let the tub adjust to room temperature naturally.

Salt is irritating - ever had it in the wound? It sucks and hurts! Instead try using Indian almond leaves as it'll help heal the skin as well as provide an anti fungal property. Your water will turn yellow brown but that's okay.

She most likely spat out the worm due to stress and being in the fridge. The fridge slows their metabolism and they won't be as hungry. This is why you need to take her out, so she can eat and have the energy to heal :)

That should heal on it's own - it looks clean.

I agree with Hayley, the fridge will only slow down her metabolism and isn't indicated here. Fridging is only for impaction and 'help I think my axie is dying' situations, and is actually quite stressful for the axie.

Clean water, almond leaves or tea if needed, and she'll regrow that tail in no time. Oh, and daily worms.

(cure-all for axie injuries is always cool clean water and worms!)

I wouldn't put her back into the tank until she's healed a little. Have you got a separate tank or tub to keep her in?

If it was an axolotl bite... Make sure they have plenty of hides so they can get away from each other. Also ensure they're getting plenty of food each, to reduce chances of bites.

Almond leaves are great :happy:

Thank you guys! :) I will take her out of the fridge. I could keep her in a little 10 gallon tank until she is better. Some one had mentioned tea. Is there a certain kind I should get? Where could I get the Indian almond leaves? :)

Some one had mentioned tea. Is there a certain kind I should get? Where could I get the Indian almond leaves? :)
Ordinary black tea is all you need - not herbal or fruity or red tea.
Indian almond leaves on ebay - cheapest grade are fine for axie uses.

Ok. :) I will get some black tea tomorrow after work. :) thank you very much.

Axolotls are AMAZING healers. One of my axolotls had its arm completely ripped off and all I had to do was put a divider in the tank (to keep the other axolotls from picking on it) and make sure the water was clean and it was getting fed. Although it didn't eat for the first 2 weeks. So that is nothing compared to what they can handle.

Here's your recipe:

• Tea bath for axolotls
    Contributed by Daniel Weiner, August 2007.
    I mainly use teabaths for minor skin problems. It may also be used with fungal problems but on that account I prefer salt baths. Tea has a slightly antifungal and antibacterial effect (resulting from tannins) and additionally it closes the pores in the skin a little bit (mainly resulting from tannin and caffeine). The skin tightens and gets some kind of protective layer, making it harder for fungi and bacteria to intrude the body. On the other hand it makes it harder for salt or medicine to reach pathogens which are already inside the body - that is the reason I do not use it on fungal infections, although a tea bath is sometimes recommended as a cure for fungal infections by some people.
    The medication is as follows: I take one bag of black tea without any additional aroma (it is important to use black tea because this kind of tea is fermented and so it has tannins) for every 10 litres of water (preferably used in a quarantine tank). This tea gets dashed with boiling water in a seperate bowl - I leave it there for at least 10 to 15 minutes so the tannins are resolved into the water. The tea has to cool down and is finally added to the quarantine water. After a week I make a bigger change of water (60% at least), the rest of the tea is removed over time by normal water changes. If you have to make more regular water changes (f.i. in a small bowl or tank) the tea concentration can be refilled. As far as I know there are no negative effects even for long term treatment.
    A similar effect (although not as strong) may have the addition of dried oak or beech leafs now and then as a precaution.
I agree with all the other posters - that should heal fine.

Thank you for the advise. :) I will defiantly do the tea baths. She was missing her whole hand when I got her so I know that they are amazing at recovering. I'm move her to my extra ten gallon with a bubbler and I will keep her in a dark area. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back