Identifying salamander

Calamander24

Reaction score
Country
United States
Baby Salamander.jpg

I would like some help identifying this baby salamander (I cannot access any better photos right now)

I commented on your other thread as well. I did some more digging and I'm leaning toward it being a Hellbender.
Hellbender | National Wildlife Federation

As I stated in your other thread, what would especially help is indication as to where you found it as well as to what the habitat it was found in.

I commented on your other thread as well. I did some more digging and I'm leaning toward it being a Hellbender.
Hellbender | National Wildlife Federation

As I stated in your other thread, what would especially help is indication as to where you found it as well as to what the habitat it was found in.
the markings are more similar to eastern tiger salamander larvae.

the markings are more similar to eastern tiger salamander larvae.
That's why location would help. They appear in Northern Arkansas but most of Arkansas is not ambystoma tigrinum is not located in most of Arkansas. I'm assuming based on the OP's indicated location, he found the specimen in Arkansas.

does seen a bit too light for a hellbender, with the colour tone and spots it looks like a young eastern tiger salamander, both animals are common to Arkansas.
to be honest it could be a variety of salamanders.

Attachments

• tiger salamander larva.jpg
    tiger salamander larva.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 310
does seen a bit too light for a hellbender, with the colour tone and spots it looks like a young eastern tiger salamander, both animals are common to Arkansas.
to be honest it could be a variety of salamanders.
The link I posted on the other thread didn't even mention ambystoma tigrinum which was why I didn't even consider that it could be a tiger!

I'm guessing though if OP sends the photo to an herpetological group in his area and includes more details about where it came from, he could get a very quick identification.

We have a rock solid herpetological group in my area who identified a grey tree frog I sent them a picture of once. They couldn't ID the specific variety but they quickly narrowed it down to two. We get the Copes grey tree frog and the grey tree frog in my area distinguished only by mating calls.

So I am in southern arkansas and I found it in a swamp at night alongside many other larvae that I assume to be the same species

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back