How much KH (alkaline) do axolotl need

tipnatee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
NYC Axolotl
How much KH (alkaline) do axolotl need? That is my question. Cause I house lots of axolotl and for some unknown reason I could never seem to natually establish any KH level no matter how many years it has been. Still 0 or close to 0. So far I have been adding alkaline buffer for aquarium and my axie seems pretty happy with it. Of course my tap water alway 0 KH but even when water haven't been change it's still 0 KH I have to add buffer to get to 20 ( I don't want to add too much chemical in my tank just very as little as possible)

My tank before water change ( always like this)
Nitrate 20 - 40
Nitrite 0 -0.5
Chlorine 0
Gh 75-150
KH 0
Ph 6.8 -7.0

After water change 25% (or 50% if I would be gone a lot longer)
Nitrate 0-20
Nitrite 0
Chlorine 0
Gh 75
KH 0
Ph 6.8

So it sounds like you have soft water, you could benefit from Holtfreter's solution, it supplements soft water for the health of Axolotls, because they need hard water. I can only find one place to buy it, the research dept that keeps the Axolotl colonies. You have to print an order form and mail it with a check, here's their website to get the order form. Ambystoma Genetic Stock Center

Yes as you can see at 75 GH is considering soft ( not very soft but still soft) but I can easily kick it up to 150 with just little of aquarium salt . And yes you are very right!! I could use holtrefeter's solution since I do made my own, and It's away the best. I'm just little low on supplies right now so aqaurium salt would do. Still it doesn't seem to kick up any alkaline Unlike the alkaline buffer. My axie doesn't seems to be bother by it, but still I'm very concern about using it for the long haul. :( I'm not an expert chemist and the basic ingredient of akaline buffer still got me scratching my head debating if it's safe or if it's not. Since all I know so far is that Alkaline buffer solutions made from a weak base and one of its salts, it contains hydroxide ion. I don't know if it harmful or harmless to axolotl .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back