Has anyone had a problem keeping Triturus C. alive?

S

steve

has anyone had a problem keeping Triturus C. alive? I keep a lot of newts and sallies (including fish, and "dry" lizards) so I think i know what i'm doing. (kick)

*Im asking if anyone else has recently or ever had mysterious deaths with this specific species. I keep so many different species and only rare deaths occur. This is another reason i ask because I dont believe it's me (kick again)

so let me know your story if you got one.

*also, if you reply, tell me what LIVE foods you were feeding.

thanks.....

p.s. (before you ask) NO I DIDNT MIX the species with others. LOL

So, I'm assuming that Triturus C. is cristatus. I got 12 from a wholesaler and they all are doing fine to this date(even the ones I traded). I feed them FROZEN bloodworms and LIVE blackworms. They also get LIVE ghost shrimp every so often.

A possible factor for "unexplained death" may be temperature. I keep mine under 67 at all times, and have heard reports of them doing very poorly above 68 degrees.

Also, I know several people that also keep "dry" lizards and fish(including myself) and find that they require care that is in no way related to caudates, except for water quality in fish.

~Aaron

right, but I was giving an idea of my experience with different sorts of animals.

MY MAIN animal and has been for awhile, is salamanders.

Basically, I check all aspects of water quality (amm, nitrite, nitrate, ph) and comes back fine. The temp is always under 70F usually, around 60-62F. I sometimes give them a drop with water bottles, and have had then down to 40F before with no problem. (seems to bring on that crest in males LOL)

Basically, as I should have blurted out, is: I was thinking live blkworms have been a negative thing for them here (at least where I get them LFS) After checking everything else, I realized the only thing that WAS the SAME at every death was live blkworms in the gravel. I know it sounds far-fetched and almost ridiculous, but I'm not seeing anything else. I have had them in different tank setups from a 20L with land to a 10G with no land. The only thing in the water is: gravel (large) and a filter (brand new). Ohh, yes and the garbage liners for breeding. I would say its the liners, but this death "problem" started happening before my attempts at "breeding" and the liners existence.

Aaron, I know and understand that "lizards" are 200% EASIER then salamanders. (in my opinion)

also: I've had sallies that are still alive that I acquired when I first started this hobby and they are happy and just fine.

**I know alot of questions (whether mine or not) start a big "rage" on this forum, BUT I figure this: I don't know everything, no one does, so If I have a question that will make me SMARTER, then I ask it whether or not it serves as a bad "reputation".

Hey we are all learning from each other, right?

anyways, thank you Aaron for answering so quickly, and to anyone else that replies.

***p.s. Aaron, do you have a NEW email, because I don't get a response when I email you, do you have a Spam filter on?

Steve

*there was some other talk about blkworms at:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/8/2594.html?1044383618 but know one knew.

I have heard of a few people suspecting live blackworms as a possible problem.

Also, when you add the frozen water bottles, the temperature may be dropping too quickly. Although the newts might not be showing signs of it, they may very well be extremely stressed.

The only other thing I can think of would be that possibly the blackworms in the gravel could be "crashing," but that should show up on your water tests and thus, isn't applicable to this scenario.

~Aaron

Were the animals wild-caught or captive-bred? If they were CB, I would suspect inbreeding. If WC, I would suspect poor handling during import. Also, crested newts can drown if they don't have enough land to crawl out on. Regarding blackworms, I would say to use less gravel. Too many blackworms could consume the oxygen in the water if there are too many in there. Is swallowed gravel a possibility? Just some random thoughts.

crashing is when the entire population of animals(in this case, worms) die off at the same time.

~Aaron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back