Question: Happy owner of my very first axolotl

RogueRoot

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hello everyone,

I hope you are doing great! I just wanted to express my feelings about me owning my very first axolotl. I have also come up with some questions and I have been digging for informations for 1-2 days so far. I want to give the best possible experience for my little buddy so I strive to learn as much as I can. My tank is 10 galloons as of now, I know that I should really consider a larger one and I will definitely go for it. However, the axolotl is around 2-3cm long, so it should not be a problem for now but in the near future I will consider it. Previously I had some small pebbles as a decoration and some coral (not a real one). When I first let it go and tried to feed it I noticed that the food goes a little bit below the pebbles and the axolotl couldn't eat it. So I decided to remove it completely and let only the corals stay, also in terms of its safety (don't want the axolotl to hurt himself) one thing as well I noticed some strange little jumps, no idea why it makes them shouldn't be related to stress or just being scared as it does them even when in complete cool state. It does not make them often, perhaps rare but still. Another thing I am confused about, since I have it it only stays on a specific place, it does not seem to lurk the entire tank, not sure if that is his favorite spot or just still getting to know the environment. I would really appreciate any tips you could give me that I can also keep in mind. Thank you so much in advance :)

unless your axolotl is hungry or it is night time you will find that her/she will spend most of the time chilling out.
as for jumping there are an assortment of things that axolotls do that seem weird but are totally normal for them, bare in mind they also aren't the most graceful of swimmers.
tank wise 10 gallon may last about 6 months before he/she is to big for the tank and the water parameter start to become uncontrollable.

unless your axolotl is hungry or it is night time you will find that her/she will spend most of the time chilling out.
as for jumping there are an assortment of things that axolotls do that seem weird but are totally normal for them, bare in mind they also aren't the most graceful of swimmers.
tank wise 10 gallon may last about 6 months before he/she is to big for the tank and the water parameter start to become uncontrollable.

Many thanks wolfen, yeah will definitely get a larger one in this time window. Saving some money for the tank, filter and some decorations. However, I have one question as well, I noticed that the poop of my axolotl is literally like a stone, should I worry ?

depending what is fed will depend on how the faecal is, provided it is consistent and your axolotl isn't struggling it should be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back