Question: Gill fungus, how did this happen?

solace93

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. Less than 2 weeks ago, my Leucy axolotl had a run in with gill fungus. I salt dipped her for 5 days, and put her back in the tank, and she seems to have recovered nicely.

Now, a week after putting her back, a different axolotl has a ball of fungus in his gills. I can't figure out what the problem is.. Is my tank itself infected? When I was feeding bloodworms, I would sometimes find fuzzy strays behind stuff, but I haven't fed that in a while.

Parameters:

Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
NitrAte: 30 (comes out the tap at 20ppm)
pH: 8.2
Temp: 62-64 f

I just moved them into an established 55 gallon 3 weeks ago, with a canister and sponge filter. My leucy immediately hated it and wouldn't leave the same corner for a week before she developed the fungus. I think the canister outflow was too strong for her, so I shut it off and only left the sponge running. Now she occasionally roams around like a regular lotl and seems to be doing fine after treatment. So why does my other lotl have fungus now? :confused:

I'm really hoping this won't be an ongoing problem.. Maybe the sand is too hard for me to keep clean. They were on bare bottom before. Anyway, thank you for any input!

Hi,

The salt bath may cure the symtoms, but do nothing against the cause.

Thank you both for replying!

Perhaps it's the pH? pH can affect the toxicity of ammonia, yours is at 8.2 which is on the high side, it should be around 7.4 - 7.6.

Check out this page: Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

I'm always worried about the pH being too high for all my aquatic pets, but I've been under the impression it would be okay in a cycled tank, as long as everything was stable. I dunno... I've been keeping lotls for 5 months with the same pH but it wasn't an issue until I moved them to the bigger tank. :(

Hi,

The salt bath may cure the symtoms, but do nothing against the cause.

Do you have any ideas what the cause might be? :confused:

Difficult to know exactly, but an excess of organic matter in the tank is a possible cause (rotten excess food for example). You said the new tank is always established but you don't give any datails about it (how long? with what animals?)

You found yourself a possible stress source with the too strong water flow and that's fine.

The pH itself is not a problem for axolotls since the Xochimilco lake has a value near 8.

Difficult to know exactly, but an excess of organic matter in the tank is a possible cause (rotten excess food for example). You said the new tank is always established but you don't give any datails about it (how long? with what animals?)

You found yourself a possible stress source with the too strong water flow and that's fine.

The pH itself is not a problem for axolotls since the Xochimilco lake has a value near 8.

The tank has been up for about 4 months with goldfish in it. All goldfish were treated for parasites and then moved so that shouldn't be an issue I hope. The lotls were never with the goldfish at the same time. There's now 4 lotls in the tank.

I'm leaning toward taking the lotls out and rinsing all the sand and rocks.. Maybe go back to bare bottom.

Read the fungus sticky i wrote in the axolotl general discussion section, it explains causes of fungal attack. Your tanks not " infected" , fungus is probably present most of the time, its wether the axolotl is in a condition to become infected which is the important factor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back