Question: Getting away with not using baby brine shrimp.

daniellog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Dan
Hey there,
I have found some eggs on ebay and would quite like to raise some more again...maybe. However this time I was wondering if I could get away with using microworms instead of baby brine shrimp for them. Its just that its a bit of a pain to do all the baby brine shrimp thing last time with me sharing a flat.

So what do you reckon?

Dan

Whiteworms alone are not suitable. They will work for a while, but long term they are not nutritious enough.
Perhaps Daphnia is a less messy option than brine shrimp, you could consider it. It works VERY well.

I can buy it but I think it would be mostly too big for them as hatchings, not too sure. I think I'll just have to use bbs for two or three weeks then switch to Daphnia.

I wouldn't recommend anything but BBS Dan - though saying that, buy a microworm culture off ebay so that you have a backup should your BBS fail.

I just got some 4 week old babies to eat frozen bloodworm and at 5 weeks one is eating pellets.
They have mixed foods BBS, grindleworm, frozen bloodworm nall at 4-5 weeks. So if you can train them young the food options are better and easier.

You can have some of my grindleworms if you want.

Mel

My last batch took quite a while, I managed to get them onto live bloodworm after a while which was better. I've learnt a lot from the first lot of eggs so I reckon I could ween them onto dead food quicker next time.

Exactly.
The more you raise the more you learn.
No batch are ever the same though.
You just have to persevere and not give them a choice lol!

They sure know how to wrap you round their little finger!
I find at 4-5 weeks its best to try frozen bloodworm first before live as most of the time the live ones come out undigested. They have been given a head start with digestion with the frozen.

I'm talking with them with regards to breeding but Finley isn't looking too good just now.

Mel

Not eating, just looking not right.
Could be the temp but its only on 21.
Will stick a bottle in.

Mel

Oh dear, keep me updated on him!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back