Question: Food stuck to eggs

rb6k

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like a fool I put my pregnant axolotl in a tank then dropped a pellet in for her to eat. I didn't take it out and now I have eggs with pellet dust on them. Are these likely to rot and die now or are they still as clean as the tank around them? It was brand new water. Presumably bacteria will get on the outside but what's the score? The pellets tend to dissolve over time anyway.

You should have already removed the eggs into a separate container.

Remove the eggs into a container, and you will likely be able to get most the dust off from the eggs being moved around in the water.

Can you post an image?

It's a separate tank that they're in. The dust isn't too terrible I was just wary of causing harm.

So you put your Axolotl out of its main tank into the tank which your keeping the eggs?

They probably will be fine if it isn't much pellet dust, again I would post images

Yes that's right. I have a big plastic hospital tank for when they're sick or laying eggs. I can post a picture when home. There's about 150 eggs and the axie has shepherded them into one big spawn overnight so they're mixed more than they were when I originally posted. I took out most of the pellet and the dirtiest eggs but I imagine the rest are fine then if there's no major concerns.

It may be a false alarm anyway. When she lays 100-150 eggs they've been hit and miss on whether they're fertile. She laid more and they grew from it although none ultimately survived.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back