Floating Axolotl

corbinsg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi!
I’m looking for some support in an axolotl I rescued. She’s got pretty severe gill degeneration, but some of her frilling is coming back. She also has some skin discoloration/burns that I think are water quality related. She was floating in the tank when we picked her up, and we fridged her for two days and she was passing a lot of waste. When we transferred her into her new tank today she immediately began floating nearly vertically and seems to really be struggling to stay horizontal unless something is holding specifically her tail down. Her water parameters are fine. I’ve been doing daily water checks to ensure it isn’t that. I’m wondering if I should try fridging her again? She hasn’t eaten anything, and her previous owner said she hadn’t eaten anything in awhile, and they gave her pellets as her main source of food. They said she turned her nose up at earthworms.
The substrate they had was fine sand with nothing in the tank she couldve swallowed, and we have sand as her substrate now. I’m just worried about her, she doesn’t seem comfortable and is moving around quite a lot I think to find a spot where her bum isn’t floating.
She’s also gasped for air at the top of the tank at least three times in the past 30 minutes. We have a sponge filter that bubbles a bit.
She’s a full grown adult - about 7 years old.
Any advice is helpful!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,171
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
although air-filters use and produce bubbles the oxygen saturation is low, using an air-stone which produces fine bubbles is one of the best ways to oxygenate the water.
use 2g/l non-iodised salt in the water (this will help with gill/filament growth as well as protecting and healing) although 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate would be better.
because of the stress of floating tubbing in shallow water (shallow enough that her feet touch the floor) would be less stressful.
make sure that the water in the tank (or tub) is cold to reduce floating.
when using sand make sure to regularly turn it over to prevent oxygen dead spots and toxic gas build up.
hard pellets have been known to cause floating issues.
using blacked out jars etc.. can help if an axolotl is prone to floating, this is because an axolotl will use the jar to prevent it floating to the surface until the air is expelled.
try feeding frozen food ie.. bloodworm, krill, mysis, brineshrimp, chopped cockle/mussel, chopped freshwater prawns, always feed a varied balanced diet.
holtfreters etc.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
water levels etc.. Water Quality Explained: How It Can Affect Your Axolotl's Health - WSAVA 2015 Congress - VIN

What is the temperature of the tank. Gasping at air frequently can be a sign of high ammonia, high temps and stress. Also what is the params?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
    AxieCrazy: My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple... +1
    Back