Floating axolotl again :(

Axie123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Axie123
I've had this trouble twice since buying my axolotl in december, what could be causing this???

Overeating? Not sure if it's a he or she, so i dont know.. do they ever float when they have eggs or anything like that??

Help please :)

I have taken the best pictures i could lol, if its a mr it definately wont be laying eggs, but last time i fridged him/her & it seemed okay but it's happned again, unsure how to prevent it?

All pictures of my albino show this problem & a picture of my wildtype at the end to show the differences in their positioning.

Attachments

• PICT0192.jpg
    PICT0192.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 628
  • PICT0196.jpg
    PICT0196.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 415
  • PICT0198.jpg
    PICT0198.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 423
  • PICT0199.jpg
    PICT0199.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 655
  • PICT0201.jpg
    PICT0201.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 322
  • PICT0206.jpg
    PICT0206.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 328
What is the temperature in your tank and your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) ?

There are lots of factors that could result in a floating lotl. I'm mostly worried because ... she (I could definitely be wrong about this, it does look like there could be little lumps lol) is floating to the side which would indicate that this might not just be a case of constipation - the most common cause of floating.

I'd probably recommend fridging, in a container with just enough water to cover her so that her feet can touch the ground. Hopefully when she passes waste the floating will rectify itself... and no, eggs wouldn't result in floating like this.

The tank is between 16 - 18 degrees C, ammonia im not sure but i've done a water change fairly recently & spot cleans & filter clean today.

Yeah, it happned before i fridged him/her & its been fine up until the other day, but i mean it could have overeaten pellets & i have given them some bloodworm this week too.. Should i feed them less regularly? i do everyday at the minute. (a variety not both each day)

Okay thanks, i fridged him/her overnight & it passed some waste so put him/her in the normal tank for a bit just to see if it had helped, still cant stay at the bottom of the tank :(

I didn't think eggs would cause it, the other 2 axies seem fine so i dont think its water quality

I'd follow dancristophers tip, put the axie in a contanier with shallow water to lower the stress the floating can cause, and put it in the fridge, just remember to change the water! works for mine when they have these problems :)

Thanks :) is in the fridge as we speak :D hopefully he/she will be better soon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rreu: z +1
    Back