Question: Floating 3 inch baby

dbuckle2

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have noticed that one of my 5 three inch babies axolotls floats sometimes. They are in a proper tank correctly setup and appear to be healthy. All are eating well. Does anyone have advice? :uhoh:

Define float? Do they remain upright or are they belly up, on their sides, etc? I have 4 2in babies and 3 of the 4 spend the majority of their time "suspended" in the upper levels. If yours are doing the same thing, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Edit: Let me add that as long as they are eating well for you too, you don't have anything to worry about.

Upright. They have grown a good inch since I received them in the mail a little less than a week ago.

Sounds like they are doing very well then. Keep their water cool and clean - sounds like you are already keeping them well fed! Look forward to seeing pics - to see what colors you have! Good luck with them! I have 1 wild, 2 leucistics, and an albino as well as 2 16 month olds - a gold female and a wildtype male.

Hiya
I agree with dragonlady they are probably fine

I've got 15 juvies about 3 inch and they often have a float now and then.

Mel

dbuckle2-albums-axolotl-picture9769-a.jpg
dbuckle2-albums-axolotl-picture9770-a.jpg

Above are two of the five
dbuckle2-albums-axolotl-picture9770-a.jpg

Thanks for sharing! They look great! I did forget ask if you have yours separated as that is strongly advised. Mine were shipped together in a small plastic container and amputations did occur. They are separated and all parts are nearly completely regenerated but the regrowth definitely slowed their progress. Main thing is that they are all thriving as yours appear to be. Best of luck!

They are all together. One got its leg eaten off but its growing back very quickly! After that occurred I increased their tank size. They seem to be much happier in their larger tank together. If that changes I will split them up

My little guys (from the same batch of eggs I believe) float at different levels of the tank quite frequently. I'm glad your babies are thriving! That makes me so happy! ; )

:) I also have 15-20 that hatched from eggs from the same batch. They are growing like weeds too!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back