Question: Finding live food in Western Australia

aussie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Much to my surprise / panic my 2 classroom axolotls have laid eggs!:eek:
I have followed the advice on your forum and set up a seperate tank for the eggs but am worried about how I am going to feed them once they are hatched before they are able to have pellets. Does anyone know where I can get suitable food for the hatchings in SW Western Australia? If needs be I can do a day trip to Perth, Bunbury or Albany to get them some. I have followed your tip put the tank in a cool place to try and slow them down to give me more time to get organised. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

I'm not sure where to get them in Australia but you either need baby brine shrimp, which you can hatch yourself with brine shrimp eggs.

YouTube - Tutorial: Brine Shrimp Hatchery

Or you can use daphnia if they are small enough. You might be able to use microworms too but I'm not completely sure they eat them that well. You will definitely be able to buy brine shrimp eggs off of ebay, that's where I got mine from.

I'd go the baby brine shrimp route - hatch your own, and the students can enjoy that too! I did it with eggs and salt mix off ebay from MikesWetPets. 2 liter pop bottle with the bottom cut off, air pump, piece of tape to hold the air hose down on the top of the edge and viola! :D Instant babies in about 15 hours! I didn't use a heater or anything...each batch lasted about 5 days and the new baby axies snapped them up like crazy! :p (I just made sure to rinse them in a coffee filter with a medicine dropper before feeding to remove the salt. :happy:)

Did you have any luck with your eggs? I am from WA too, and our Axies have eggs.

Just wanted to add to this is anyone does a future search that "VEBAS AQUARIUMS" on Carrington Rd sell live Daphnia!!

I'm not in Western Australia, but Western Sydney. I've been trying to hatch brine shrimp eggs for the past four days (two batches) and don't think I'm getting anywhere.
I have made a hatchery with bottles, airflow from base etc. I've added salt and light and even tried heating. Am I supposed to be able to see anything other than orange sand? Will the hatched brine shrimp "swim"?
My hatchery product looks like clear water with sand grains that sink.
I'm using some NTLABS Brine Shrimp eggs without shells.
Does it sound like I'm doing anything wrong?

Hi Penny I have no idea. I am using store bought Daphnia only. My babies are about 7 days old now and infant loss is minimal (probably those that were abit odd to begin with).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back