Exceptions in prohibited species lists (WA)

C.alex

Reaction score
Country
United States
What do “exceptions” mean in prohibited species lists? I’m trying to parse out WA’s amphibian legislation, and it’s of course one of the more extensive prohibited lists, but there are a few sections that say something along the lines of “All members….except….”. Does that mean the species listed after the ‘except’ are legal to keep? Or am I not understanding it.

Specifically under Ambystomatidae it lists mole salamanders, then at the end says “A. tigrinum, except for the native species A. tigrinum mavortium Western tiger salamander”. What does that mean?

What do “exceptions” mean in prohibited species lists? I’m trying to parse out WA’s amphibian legislation, and it’s of course one of the more extensive prohibited lists, but there are a few sections that say something along the lines of “All members….except….”. Does that mean the species listed after the ‘except’ are legal to keep? Or am I not understanding it.

Specifically under Ambystomatidae it lists mole salamanders, then at the end says “A. tigrinum, except for the native species A. tigrinum mavortium Western tiger salamander”. What does that mean?
Get any answers?

When I have had questions about legality of species, I've e-mailed state officials and asked them to explain. It helps to ask about specific species rather than general questions. State wildlife laws on both domestic as well as foreign species have been changing in the last several years. Clarification from the people who will be enforcing the new laws is best to protect your own interests. Good luck!

It's tough to tease out what the regulations really mean. In my state we have run into the interpretation of the regulations changes when the old enforcer retires. We have had people busted at reptile shows in Pa. for doing exactly what the guy that used to be in charge told them was legal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back