Illness/Sickness: Dying axolotl bubbles red blobs floating

taylor24390

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand-Maori
Hey my 1 and a bit year old axolotl is sick, we noticed her floating along the surface and on her side or upside down and then she started to get bloated and a day later noticed she had a red blob coming from the side of her also not eating

We put her in the fridge and then she stopped floating but lots of bubbles are coming up on her skin and now she has lots of red blobs all over the sides of her belly and the bubbles have got bigger like huge

She finally ate yesterday was very weak took her a long time to catch on

can someone help me? my other 3yr old axolotl who was in the same tank is fine

Attachments

• DSC01264.jpg
    DSC01264.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,490
  • DSC01268.jpg
    DSC01268.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,586
  • DSC01267.jpg
    DSC01267.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,799
What is the substrate? Your Axolotl looks extremely ill and needs vet attention immediately.

Thats for the reply i found her dead shortly after I posted this question, there isnt any vets around me that know on treatments for axolotls so i couldnt take her to a vet, we had a big earthquake and power and water was out for a week and we had a filter in the tank i rang the breeder and he said it may be a bacterial infection which is really bad for a axolotl

Sorry for your lost. :(

Its called a Gas Bubble Disease. Its caused by the gases in the air like oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide. It gets into the blood and tissues of the salamander causing it to swell up and float... and have those pockets of blood forming. They usually die from a secondary bacterial infection. Its called Aeromona Hydrophila. I think that might be what happened to your axie?? :( Sorry hope that helps kinda give you some closure as to what happened.

Sorry I meant to say it usually gets into the salamander if water is supersaturated with these gases. Apparently it helps if you let the water sit for awhile and let the gases dissipate. For how long, I'm not sure. :/ I heard it's worst in the summer :/

Gas bubble disease doesn't manifest with blisters. They're just clear bubbles. And it's usually a lot of them, but smaller.

This looks like it was probably an infection. It could be the earthquake changed your water chemistry in some way that affected your axolotl. I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a pet really sucks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back