Question: Do axolotls become more aggressive during breeding time?

Lora Cottom

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 2 female axolotls who have been tank buddies for some time. They are a wild-type and a leucistic (spelling?) of the same size. I have never noticed any problems between them.

Yesterday the wild-type attacked the white one, and took off a significant portion of her foot- the bones are showing! :( I separated them, of course!

My question is: do axies become more aggressive during breeding season? Do the colors of the animal have anything to do with aggression? I house my axolotls in pairs, and I would hate to see any more of this. Thanks for the help!:happy:

As long as the tank is large enough with plenty of hides/visual barriers you should be fine. I have HEARD that wild type axolotls are more aggressive, but I have never experienced that personally.

I've also heard wilds are more agressive but I haven't noticed this either as my gold is the aggressive one.

Was the 'attack' during feeding time? Sometimes they will accidently bite each other thinking that they are snapping at food. If so you could try to feed them at seperate ends of the tank.

Mel

The bite occured overnight, so feeding was not an issue. I separated the two ladies and Casper's foot seems to be healing.

In answer to both Mel and Eric's questions, my wild-type is one year old and the leucistic is approximately 2 years old. They were sharing a long, narrow 12 gallon tank (it is homemade and an odd size). I had included 3 hiding places and plastic plants. They have cohabited from approximately 6 months with no problems. Thanks so much for your help, it is good to talk to other axie owners!

I've noticed my wildtype gets aggressive a few times a year. I can only assume its her fault because she is always involved in scuffles. I once literally saw her dive bombing another axie, it was terrifying!
But I've noticed it isn't a constant thing. She just gets moody every now and then.

Lora, your tank is too small for two adult axolotls. You really need to upgrade to a bigger tank for a variety of reasons: your axolotls need more room to themselves to get away from each other, and you will have a very hard time maintaining water quality in such a small tank.

Okay, maybe crowding is the problem. The wild-type has really grown in the last few months. Anyway, I am now separately housing them. If I put them back together in the future, I will upgrade to a larger tank. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back