Question: Cycling question!

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Samantha
Hi everyone! :happy:
Just a quick question.. I've been cycling my new tank for almost three weeks now, and performing 25% water changes and testing the water using the API Master Test Kit every other day.
I checked yesterday and my levels were as follows:

PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0 - 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0

I've been using fish flakes as a source of ammonia for the bacteria to feed on after learning that the bottled "cycle" is basically useless.

My question is how will I know when my tank is fully cycled? I want to be as sure as possible because I don't want to put my axolotl into a potentially dangerous environment.
I did a little homework on when I would know for sure, but I'd love the advice of you wonderful people!

Thanks for reading and thanks for any information you might be able to give me! :eek:

The easiest way to know when your tank is totally cycled is to go buy some plain ammonia and use it to bump up the ammonia in the tank to 4 ppm. (I am assuming you don't have an axolotl or fish in there - if you do, don't do this!) When the tank can take the 4 ppm ammonia to 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite in 24 hrs, it is very fully cycled. (Do a very large water change when you are done to get rid of nitrates.)

Note: it takes mere drops to raise it to 4 ppm. Start with a drop. You may want to dilute it to make it easier to measure.

The easiest way to know when your tank is totally cycled is to go buy some plain ammonia and use it to bump up the ammonia in the tank to 4 ppm. (I am assuming you don't have an axolotl or fish in there - if you do, don't do this!) When the tank can take the 4 ppm ammonia to 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite in 24 hrs, it is very fully cycled. (Do a very large water change when you are done to get rid of nitrates.)

Note: it takes mere drops to raise it to 4 ppm. Start with a drop. You may want to dilute it to make it easier to measure.

Thanks for the great advice! :) After running around my small town for a few hours, I finally found a Home Hardware that sold the "Old Country" brand Ammonia for super cheap so I got it! :') Adding it to the tank now and checking my levels to get it to around 4 or 5 ppm.
♥♥♥

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back