Question: Cycling! Please help asap

brella

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi,
so i'm getting my axies sometime today...i know they are already out for delivery.

well i recently was informed about cycling the tank. i bought some liquid cycling stuff at the pet store that is supposed to cycle a tank faster. i added that and its almost been 24 hours. is that stuff good enough?
if its not good enough, what do i do?!

i'm really freaked out about getting them because i dont know if the tank is good! :(

Hi Brella,

The "starter bacteria" that most people sell actually do not work. There is one called BioSpira that actually does help, but it can be hard to find.

An aquarium can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to cycle. If you have nowhere else to keep your axolotls, the tank will cycle with them in it. This means that you will need to be chaning at least 20% of the water in the aquarium each day until the tank has cycled. You can buy dropper tests (test tube tests) to test the water periodically - when the nitrite (NO2) and ammonia levels are at 0 and you show a nitrate (NO3) reading, your tank is cycled.

More info on cycling can be found here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

Don't freak out. Most of us go through this at first. ;)

-Eva
http://www.caudata.org/forum/announcement.php?f=57

Hi Brella,

Firstly try not to freak out. Have a look at www.axolotl.org it has heaps of information about all things axolotl.

Secondly the best things for cycling a tank are patience and time. There are many quick fixes available most don't work well or at all.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back