Question: cycling and Ph

Celeste

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hi everyone!!

I am currently setting up my tank with hope of getting 2 axies in the future. I want to do the right things way before the little guys arrive.

My tank is about 130 liters and it has been cycling for 3 months. I have a coupple of mollies and some live plants in it. About 2 months ago, there was the amonia peak, but I wasnt able to see the nitrite peak (wasnt home to do the test). I have been testing amonia, nitrite, nitrate and Ph every 2 weeks and have noticed than amonia and nitrite are 0. My concern is about nitrate, I have 2.5 ppm and I was wondering if my bioload isnt enough and all the good bacteria could die. Both ornaments and glass feels slimy. I have read that nitrate should be higher to determinate that the tank is fully cycled. I would appreciate a lot if anyone could give a hint about what is happening and what should I do.

The other thing is about Ph. Everytime I do the test, the Ph is 8.5, so today I made a Ph test from the tap water and the result was 8.5 too. Is there a way to get down the Ph? I was told I should not use bottled water because it has added salts to make it stay fresh for a longer period, and these salts could be harmfull for axies. what can I do?

I am still setting up the tank, Ill post some pictures when its done!

Thank you!!

Hi Celeste,

You are doing a great job.

Actually once you have axies in the tank, they will contribute to nitrogenous wastes. That alone will significantly provide more 'food' for the bacteria. With the added bioload, there is also the likelihood that pH will drop accordingly.

Axies can tolerate a range in pH. It would be worse if the water conditions are acidic. What type of pH test kit do you use? Do you use a colorimetric solution or a test strip dipstick? Perhaps you might like testing the pH with another kit or bring it to the aquarium shop to test it out. Just want to rule out faulty kits as a cause.

As your tank surfaces feel slimy and you can see the dynamic shifts of ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrates in your water chemistry, your beneficial bacteria population is fine.

Cheers

Hi Ray and thanks for your reply!!!

I am using those drop - tube test kit... I guess that is the colorimetric one?? I thought that the test kit could be wrong, so then (i forgot to post it earlier) I made a test with bottled water and Ph was 7. It is really good to know the bacteria is fine. Would it be better to feed the mollys more frequently in order to get bigger bioload?

Thanks Ray, you always give very good mind-peace advice!!!

Hi Celeste,

Good to know everything is in order then. You would just need to feed the mollys enough to keep them alive, there is no necessity for increased feeding.

Just to make sure again, as your bottled water tested neutral at 7, the tank and tap water is truly tested 8.5 then?

Cheers

Hi Ray!

yes, my tank´s and tap water are 8.5... by the way.. sorry for my bad english, and thanks again for your replies!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back