Question: Cycling an axolotl tank?

TwistedWindSox

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Twis
Hello!
I am due to get my very first axolotl in two weeks. Yesterday I started reading threads and looking in to "cycling", because I wasn't quite sure what it was. I feel like an idiot now, because I had seen the term on a lot of websites, in the discussions on how to set up your new tank, but never looked it up until then.
I have been reading tutorials on how to cycle a tank, but most of them say it will take longer than two weeks to do... What should I do with my axie? I don't want to stress him out by putting him in a tank that isn't finished cycling. :( Are they ways to make the process move faster so my tank will be ready for him when he gets here?
And, I also don't really understand the whole process... Different tutorials say to do different things to start the cycle and keep it going. What do you find is the best way to start off a cycle in your tanks? And what keeps it going? Have you ever cycled a tank with an axolotl in it, and if so, how did you axie fair?
Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but I feel really lost, and I don't want to screw up and end up harming my axolotl.
Thanks in advance.

It basically helps the PHs and nitrites and nitrates balance out so they don't affect your animals and make them sick - which you can test for yourself or have your pet shop do.

I've it done with my fish and axolotl. I've also not cycled a tank with fish and they were fine also, but it's still better not to stress them out if you can avoid it.
With my axie, I had water plants in the tank from the word go. I let it cycle for about a month before one of the plants died and I did a full clean out of the tank, but didn't touch the filter as that is where it's mostly balance out. A week or so later, I got my guy and he was fine. It really appends on the size of tank you have set up, to how long the cycling will take. Mine is 13 gallons/60 litres. I say at two weeks you'd be fine with an axolotl.

A fishless cycle is going to take less time than if you were to cycle with fish or on this case an axolotl. I haven't done a fishless cycle so I couldn't tell you how long it'll roughly be. If you get on top of it now, your cycle may be half way or close to finishing by the time your axolotl arrives and if you keep the parameters at a reasonable level then your axolotl should do fine. However if your willing to put it in a container and do daily water changes until the tank cycles then that's another option.

Are tropical fish flakes a good source of ammonia for a fish-less cycle, or does it need to be frozen brine shrimp? They came with my tank and I don't have much else of a use for them..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back