Chytrid Fungus vs Normal Shedding? How to know

differencess

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi there,
I have pacmans and few salamaders in seperate vivariums, I usually notice that frog shed their skin and during that time they are lethargic but few months back 1 of my pac man got sick and died,

while analysing the symptoms it seems like some fungal infection🙄

I am not an expert but after reading above chytrid and some more skin diseases I am worried and getting nightmares,

went through some chytrid guides like these

but they are not useful and sometimes confusing

Any advise of help is appreciated to detect and diagnose this situation

Unless you can get them tested you cant know for certain. Chytrid is known as"red leg" for a reason, the symptoms can include redness and sores. Other symptoms are excessive shedding and a change in behaviour. If it is chytrid its treatable at home. Theres videoes on youtube using lamisil, an athletes foot treatment, ive used it myself successfully on hymenichorus in the past, will try to find the one which shows somebody treating a pacman frog.
If you suspect youve got chytrid you need to be very careful about its spread through your collection. Fortunately its not transmissable by air, it travels in moisture on hands, equipment, plants etc. Anything which goes in one species enclosure needs to be steralised before it goes in anothers. This is a basic safety procedure which all keepers with more than one species should follow.
If anybody else reading this thinks their pets have chytrid please research the treatment for their specific species before following the lamasil clip. Its a widely used treatment for lots of frogs but it may be harmful to some idk.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back