Can axlotls eat rosy red minnows

Dovamaster

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey, im looking to keep my little guy with some rosy red feeder minnows. My hope is to have something in there he can eat when hungry that allows him to use his hunting instincts. It wouldnt be his primary food source and id still feed frozen bloodworms. I have a 20 GAL tank and dont plan to have many in with him at a time. So as long as i quarantee them will they be an alright snack. Also how big should he be before i add them.

Rosy red minnows reach 3 to 4 inches but if you're speaking of 2 inches max individuals, adult axolotls will swallow them witout any problem.

The problem would be red rosy minnows are known carry a bacteria (Yersinia ruckeri) responsable of an hemorragic septicemia among a large variety of fishes and I wonder if it can affect axolotls.

More generally, feeder fishes directly bought from pet stores are not recommanded because they could transmit parasites (Oodinium, Laernea...).
Now, if you have your own healthy red rosy minnow breeding, there should be no problem.

I’m thinking of giving mine rosy red minnows as well. After they’ve been quarantined for over a month. I’m going away for a while and thought the best way to keep my axies fed is to stick some feeder fish and ghost shrimp in the tank with them while I’m gone. Would this harm my axies? Both would be quarantined before feeding.

I’m thinking of giving mine rosy red minnows as well. After they’ve been quarantined for over a month. I’m going away for a while and thought the best way to keep my axies fed is to stick some feeder fish and ghost shrimp in the tank with them while I’m gone. Would this harm my axies? Both would be quarantined before feeding.
truthfully, i would avoid feeders in general. however, i have successfully kept ghost shrimp in with my axolotl for about a year, and they do great. she does eat them, but not very often and i don't have to replenish them terribly often. if you're lucky, the shrimp with breed (as mine just have started to) and won't have to buy new shrimp. how long are you leaving for? a pet sitter might be needed

truthfully, i would avoid feeders in general. however, i have successfully kept ghost shrimp in with my axolotl for about a year, and they do great. she does eat them, but not very often and i don't have to replenish them terribly often. if you're lucky, the shrimp with breed (as mine just have started to) and won't have to buy new shrimp. how long are you leaving for? a pet sitter might be needed
I’m leaving in a little over a month for two weeks. I’ve heard night crawlers can live in the water for about a week but I don’t want any dead ones stinking up the tank and upsetting the balance. I’m prepared to do a full water change when I get back, as I usually do a partial twice a week.

I’m leaving in a little over a month for two weeks. I’ve heard night crawlers can live in the water for about a week but I don’t want any dead ones stinking up the tank and upsetting the balance. I’m prepared to do a full water change when I get back, as I usually do a partial twice a week.
i wouldn't leave any nightcrawlers in the water, its just too risky. id stock up pretty heavy on ghost shrimp, and perhaps have a friend or family member come back and check on them every few days

as a rule of thumb the only minnows that are considered safe are white cloud mountain minnows, this is because of issues such as spines, hormones, vitamin imbalance etc.. with other species of minnow.

as a rule of thumb the only minnows that are considered safe are white cloud mountain minnows, this is because of issues such as spines, hormones, vitamin imbalance etc.. with other species of minnow.
Thank you! I’ll stick with the ghost shrimp that have been quarantined!

Ive used ghost shrimp in my tank before for vacations. Now I keep a healthy stock of them in the tank on a consistent basis. Breeding for them in the tank is slower due to the temp though.

Almost zero bio load, they do a great job cleaning and they become a snack option for mine to hunt down. Plus they add alittle extra amusement the way they float around.

Attachments

• 57309425-BACE-46AD-98BB-BF904A4F799F.jpeg
    57309425-BACE-46AD-98BB-BF904A4F799F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 440
They “can@ but I highly recommend against it as they aren’t healthy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Dnurnberg: Will the shrimp eat the worms? +1
    Back