Question: Brine shrimp quandary net breeder

fish4all

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Christopher
I have 9 hatchlings 1/2" and less.

I have them in a net breeder in a 20 gallon tank, in the next breeder so I can feed them and keep track of them.
I tried giving them live SFB brine shrimp and they all went right through the net before they could be eaten. I feed them hydrated decapsulated eggs now and they eat fine when the eggs drop right in front of them using a small pipette.

They eat well and are growing, I can see it in the bellies of the albinos and I can see full bellies on the others.

I want to feed live but I have no clue how to accomplish this without moving them to a much smaller tank. Are the regular BBS large enough not to fall through the net?

I think I may need to ask one question I haven't read about or simlpy don't recall.

What size container does one keep the hatchling in to feed them until they get big enough to move to the 20 gallon?

If you're only raising nine, you can keep them in a shoebox sized food storage container with room to spare for now. Just do daily water changes, and you may need to separate them by size as they get bigger. I kept mine in the 64oz Glad brand deep dish containers. At 1/2", I had about 10 per container, at 1" I had 5 per container, and by the time I sold them at 3" I was keeping two per container. I just split them as they started to look crowded, using size to decide which ones to match into a group. I would hold off on the 20gal until they reach a couple inches.

Thank you, I will transfer then into a smaller container that doesn't allow the live food to escape. I may use 2 because 2 of the hatchlings have grown faster.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back