Bare bottom tank.??

jockey

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,
i've been researching for some hours, and people from other websites say that although bare bottom is good, it can greatly stress axolotls. i've bought a 5 foot tank and im thinking of bare bottoming it (saves time filling it with sand or river stones) should i go for bare bottom?

Re: Bare bottom tank.????????????

What about slate tile bottom? Mel

I use tile in my tank...but you are right, bare bottom would save a lot of time not only setting it up initially, but with maintenance and cleaning

im no expert so i have also gone around to other sites. and alot of sites tell me that bare bottom stresses the axie since it can not got a foot hold.

I could see bare bottom being particularly stressful if the current were strong enough to move the axolotl (in which case it might be too strong, anyway).

I've got a bare bottom, but they don't seem terribly bothered. I've also got a sizable monapi log covering much of the bottom, and I'd think that if they really didn't feel comfortable on the glass, they'd spend more time on the textured log, but they don't often. If you're really concerned, though, you could try something similar: a few easily removed fixtures like rocks or logs.

I use tile in my tank...but you are right, bare bottom would save a lot of time not only setting it up initially, but with maintenance and cleaning

But a slate tile bottom would be the same as bare bottom in the maintainence and cleaning and more attractive and with a little bit of grip.

@jockey
Do a search of slate tile on here and see other peoples pic of it.

Mel

I completely agree Mel, I prefer slate all the way...but luckily I got mine for free from my father, and I have a feeling purchasing and having tile custom cut for a 5 ft tank might cost a pretty penny.

I figured I would see what came up here before I put in my two cents worth...;)

I whole heartedly disagree with the "bare bottoms cause stress" theory. The only thing that causes axolotl stress is the keeper. Bright lighting, warm water, lousy husbandry practices and poor diet are among the most common causes of stress.

Myself, and many others have been keeping axolotls without a substrate for many, many years without issue. A bare bottom tank or a sold substrate tank (like slate or tile, or custom made fake rock) is best for this species in my opinion. The ease of keeping it clean is the most important aspect. An easy to clean tank gets cleaned more often. Properly maintained tanks tend to have good water chemistry. Here is a link to everything you never wanted to know about aquatic substrates.

I feel the whole stress thing comes from poorly informed keepers and the tendency of the internet to spread invalid, unsubstantiated information quickly. Axolotls do not like light. They like it dim and dark. If there is light, they need lots of places to hide from it. I suspect many folks want to be able to see their pet(s) at all times, like most fish. truth be told, most caudates in general do not want to be seen unless you have nightvison goggles. This need to be able to see the animal all the time cause many folks to skimp out on proper hides. It often leads to overly bright lighting for far too many hours in a day. Sadly, thosde conditions make for very unsettled axolotls.

I am a huge advocate of bare bottom tanks for this species.In my experience, the healthiest axolotls always seem to be the ones with out substrates.

(Note, currently my axolotls are in a fully planted, river rock substrate tank I put together just to take pictures of a few months back. While I would prefer to put them back in a bare bottom tank, my wife really likes the "fancy" tank. It is a horrible, time consuming pain to keep properly cleaned.:p)

thanks guys,
im going to bare bottom it for now and see the changes in the behaviour of the axolotls......i like the log idea as well....i would just like to maintain the chemistry better than i did in my ten gallon tank, so bare bottom it is. ha got a shock last night!!! my axolotl pooped out some gravel last night.....i've had him for a year....the only problem i haven't used any gravel what so ever in my tank!!!!maybe i could put some java moss around and see what happens!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Dnurnberg:
    Will the shrimp eat the worms?
    +1
    Unlike
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
    mynewtnameddettie: Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt... +1
    Back