Axolotl wont come out of hiding spot

Petchy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello,
I have a problem I have a male Axolotl that is usually very active. Recently however he has been hiding in his hiding spot for days and not coming out (not even for food). I did however see him swimming around for about an hour at 3am this morning. I am very worried about him.

Please help me
Thank You

It's an axolotl's nature to hide for very long periods at a time. I usually never see my axies during the day, and only get a good look at them at night when I do my feedings. They stay in their hides to avoid light. Like you said, they will be active when we are usually asleep, so there is nothing abnormal about him being hidden throughout the day. When do you typically feed him? And are there any other signs that would suggest him being unhealthy?

Well I wasn't sure if I should disturb him so he didn't get fed for like 4 days while he was in his hiding place but then when he came out he got fed an earthworm and a mealworm. To answer your question no he looks normal big long gills, straight tail, active when his out. I did notice however he didn't snap at the food like he usually does he just sort of took it softly and so I found that kind of strange since usually his merciless when it comes to his worm.

How long have you had him, and what temperature is the water? Mature axolotl will go a few days with out eating , especially if the water is cooler. My gang go through spells of not eating and then spend days begging for food.

I've had him about 2 and a half months and has always been an active one but lately his just been in his hiding place doing nothing. Its the middle of summer here and so it is pretty hot. I can't measure the temperature of the water but I stick my finger in the water and it was around 20 degrees celcios.

I would try and get a more accurate measurement of the temperature. Warm water is going to cause unusual activity, so that should be your first step. Do you happen to know your water parameters? High levels of ammonia could also cause stress in your axie causing unusual behavior.

I do a 25% water change weekly and the Ph is quite low.

What about ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? Do you have a kite to test for them?

I'm not sure about the nitrite and nitrate levels but the ammonia levels are low.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back