Axolotl with fish?

TheLearner

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am thinking about getting a axolotl and was wondering if you could keep any fish or shrimp with them (I know the axolotl will probably eat them but you could always get more or breed them) I was thinking fancy goldfish, zebra danios, cloud minnows, ghost shrimp, cherry shrimp, dwarf shrimp, shiners, bantam sunfish, koi, dojo loaches or guppies might work (not all of them together of course then it would be very overcrowded), but I am no expert by all means. Have any of you kept fish with axolotls? If I were to get axolotls I would most likely get a tank in the 20-40 gallon range and would probably get a big filter.

Last edited:
Dont think to many freshwater fish can take 64f water temp. Try to think of all situations. I have seen a pic with a newt that had a little catfish stuck in its mouth. The sail fin was poking through his bottom jaw if i remember correctly:eek:.

I'm a fairly new owner myself but I've often heard that keeping fish with Axolotl isn't always ideal.. Fish from pet stores can carry diseases and parasites, the only way you can be sure they're safe is if you breed them yourself as feeders.
Also lots of fish might try to make a snack out of your axolotls fluffy gills, and there isn't much the Lotl can do about that unfortunately.
I would personally advise against it and just stick to keeping Axolotl in their own tank! :)
Not to mention that some of the kinds of fish you mentioned are super messy, such as fancy goldfish. They need a 30+ gallon tank on their own, and Axolotl need 20 gallons for the first one plus 10 for each additional one. Both goldfish and Axolotl produce lots of waste and keeping them together would be really hard to keep clean!
Just some things to think about at least! :)

Most (Neo)Caridina shrimp species can be combined with newts, though they will serve as snacks occasionally. I've put some cheap cherry shrimps in most of my newt tanks and they seem to be thriving in most of them. Except in the S.lacertina tank. Everything gets eaten in there...

Most (Neo)Caridina shrimp species can be combined with newts, though they will serve as snacks occasionally. I've put some cheap cherry shrimps in most of my newt tanks and they seem to be thriving in most of them. Except in the S.lacertina tank. Everything gets eaten in there...

Aye to that! ;)

Attachments

• shrimp.jpg
    shrimp.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 8,013
Maybe you must say a Cherry prawn

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk

Yeah, I guess it's like us swallowing a live lobster. You can see how hard he's hanging on to it, his jaw is all bent out of shape!

I like to watch, the latger
shanjing larvae, wresling with small earthworms or White worm's

I mean larger shanjing larvae

If you want to keep fish and axolotls, get two tanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back