Axolotl sex ratio

JP100

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi I was woundering if there is any info on sex ratios of axolotls and wether external factors influence them/or do diffent colour types have differnt ratios. things like temp,light,water conditions,food ect..

Reason being is that I raise most of my Axies outside. I sort them up whey are young usually on colour and size so it is eay to get wild type or leucs if I needed to sell a certain one. I have recently re caught my Axies which have been outside for nearly a year now and are mature(nearly 2 years old).
I have them in large outside tanks situated in different places around our large lawn.

Now the weird bit is from one tank where I put 5 wildtytpes I know have 5 wildtypes that are ALL females. And the other tank where I put 6 leucistic Axolotls I have 6 that are ALL males. And the third tank where I put 6 wild types I have 6 that are ALL males. The two tanks that produced the males are a different sort to the other one that had the females in and are in a differnt place(get diffent light/temp range) To me this seems very strange. When I placed them outside I couldnt tell sexes and merely divided them acording to colour.
Is this just a coincidence or is there any evidence pinting to diffent sex ratois in colour types? Or external factors "sexing" them? I konw his is only a small number of animals (17 in total) but it seemed weird to me. I have never had this before.
I know that with certain lizards/crocs and turtles the temp of the eggs can effect the sex of the offspring.

The literature suggests this is chance and I say that having first raised a batch of six which turmed out all female and then a repeat batch which turned out 5/6 female! I know statisticians insist on large samples, at least 20 animals before anything is even suggestive of an anomaly.

Sex in axolotls is believed to be chromosome mediated with a mechanism where the female is the one with the different chromosomes a ZZ/ZW system similar to birds. This system like the XX/XY system of humans results in a near equality of sex ratio. I understand at least one large study showed only a very slight female excess.

While they may be affected by gender bending chemicals and hormone manipulation it is unlikely temperature or mild environmental differences alter sex ratios.

I've never noticed a diffrence in sex based on color, lighting, temp, gfp (present or not).

I've had babies under diffrent conditions,

only artificial light, both sun and artificial
tank temps of steady 71, room (about 60-65), and fluctuating from 70 - 55
I raise Wildtype, Leucistic, Melanoid, Albino, Xanthic(gold), and all those in GFP

I've never noticed any of those factors contributing to the sex of each clutch.

I know there was some speculation on temp being a factor but I haven't noticed any.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back