Axolotl losing gill filaments

Sarahella

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My axolotl is losing filaments on his gills. Just curious if this is normal or if something else is going on. Just started a couple weeks ago and only on one side and 1 gill. Today, noticed a second gill on the same side seems to be affected.
The tank gets regular water changes, it's still very active (for an axolotl) and eats as usual.
No other symptoms of something being wrong.
This is the best photo i could get because hes too nosey and doesn't stay still when i try to take a photo.
20230316_192219.jpg

My axolotl is losing filaments on his gills. Just curious if this is normal or if something else is going on. Just started a couple weeks ago and only on one side and 1 gill. Today, noticed a second gill on the same side seems to be affected.
The tank gets regular water changes, it's still very active (for an axolotl) and eats as usual.
No other symptoms of something being wrong.
This is the best photo i could get because hes too nosey and doesn't stay still when i try to take a photo.
View attachment 95373
what are your paramters? the picture quality is poor, but the gills seem to be almost burned? it's possible that it's just normal change, but i would bet on it being a water quality issue. moreover, the gills look to be curled forward, which can be an indicator of stress. again, this may just be picture quality, but it's best to check and make sure.

what are your paramters? the picture quality is poor, but the gills seem to be almost burned? it's possible that it's just normal change, but i would bet on it being a water quality issue. moreover, the gills look to be curled forward, which can be an indicator of stress. again, this may just be picture quality, but it's best to check and make sure.
Thanks. I have to grab some new test kit supplies asap and check the water.
I can never get a great pic of him as he instantly comes toward the camera every time and his gills, the top ones, have always had a little curl like that. The others always go back so I assume that's just how he is?

I can never get a great pic of him as he instantly comes toward the camera every time and his gills, the top ones, have always had a little curl like that. The others always go back so I assume that's just how he

I can never get a great pic of him as he instantly comes toward the camera every time and his gills, the top ones, have always had a little curl like that. The others always go back so I assume that's just how he is?
Update: saw him scratch at his right side with his back foot. Tested the water and got these results for a 20gal tank:
Ammonia 1ppm
General hardness around 120ppm
pH 6.5
NO2 0.5ppm
NO3 around 40ppm

But I think it's probably just water quality like @axolotl nerd said. Try taking a water test if you have something to or if you can find someplace that does because ammonia and nitrates are especially bad in the tanks water so yea.

What does your axolotl do most of the time?
Thanks. Just did a 50% change to see if that helps. Normally he just sits around, stares out at us or occasionally slowly swims a bit. He's not acting any different except for the gill issue and the scratching that I saw.
Appreciate the help from you both.

Thanks. Just did a 50% change to see if that helps. Normally he just sits around, stares out at us or occasionally slowly swims a bit. He's not acting any different except for the gill issue and the scratching that I saw.
Appreciate the help from you both.
Also I just did some research and it appears that scratching can be caused by ammonia burn, poor water quality, or fungal infection(s)

Also I just did some research and it appears that scratching can be caused by ammonia burn, poor water quality, or fungal infection(s)
I've changed half of the water so I'll see how he makes out. Don't see any signs of a fungal infection but will also keep an eye out for that just in case. Thanks a bunch!

how are you testing the water? stick or liquid?
going by your results, your ammonia is bad but not highly toxic due to ph, your nitrites are bad and are toxic, your nitrate is tolerable, your ph is bad and cycle crash possible, your gh is low, don't know about kh but looking at ph it's very low, don't know about temperature.
test ph now that a water change has been done, if the ph is less than 7 add bicarbonate of soda to bring it up to 7.4 - 7.6, retest ammonia and nitrites after 24hrs, if there are still high ammonia and nitrites then he will have to be tubbed until the tanks cycle is sorted.

how are you testing the water? stick or liquid?
going by your results, your ammonia is bad but not highly toxic due to ph, your nitrites are bad and are toxic, your nitrate is tolerable, your ph is bad and cycle crash possible, your gh is low, don't know about kh but looking at ph it's very low, don't know about temperature.
test ph now that a water change has been done, if the ph is less than 7 add bicarbonate of soda to bring it up to 7.4 - 7.6, retest ammonia and nitrites after 24hrs, if there are still high ammonia and nitrites then he will have to be tubbed until the tanks cycle is sorted.
Thank you. Will recheck everything as you've suggested

liquid tests are more accurate then stick tests although kh and gh have to be brought separate.
the scratching is due to irritation, using 2g/l salt will help against effects of ammonia and also help prevent fungus, I would advise because of the nitrites using methyline blue baths to detox.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rreu: z +1
    Back