Axolotl Jumped

southy476

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi.

My axie fully jumped from his temporary tank last night (he’s never had a jumping thing before, I know it was careless but that’s why I didn’t have a lid on it). He was on the floor for an unknown amount of time, could’ve been 5 minutes or 2 hours. He sustained some injuries, and no vet can see him until tomorrow at the earliest. Even then, it’s very expensive and I’m unsure what they can do to help.
Current Symptoms:
Red mark (possible cut) on tail
Curled tail
Bruising on the stomach
Swollen front right leg (possibly broken)
Generally off color (assuming this is due to his slime coat being dried out)

I’ll attach some pictures as well, I really am worried about him. His gills have returned to their normal color, and when I have had to pick him up he has been fighting me. He hasn’t been moving a ton, and he is mainly balancing on his back legs with his front legs in the air. He has not taken any food, I will be getting tea today in order to give him tea baths and changing his water fully for the next few days. Current water temp is 66.2 degrees. Any advice is appreciated, I just want him to pull through and feel better.

Attachments

• IMG_4337.jpeg
    IMG_4337.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4335.jpeg
    IMG_4335.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4336.jpeg
    IMG_4336.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4333.jpeg
    IMG_4333.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
try to reduce temperature closer to 59°f, ensure adequate oxygenation, whilst tubbed feed at night clean/water change in morning, use ceramic/glass/pyrex rather than plastic, add 2g/l non-iodised salt to the water, may be useful to give daily methylene blue baths.

try to reduce temperature closer to 59°f, ensure adequate oxygenation, whilst tubbed feed at night clean/water change in morning, use ceramic/glass/pyrex rather than plastic, add 2g/l non-iodised salt to the water, may be useful to give daily methylene blue baths.
Ok, I will be adding a fan in order to keep the temperature down. I don’t have any other options besides a plastic container right now, and I have been offering bloodworms (his favorite) once a day. I do a full water change every 24 hours. Are the tea baths a good replacement for a methylene blue bath? I’ve been giving him 15min tea baths daily (using organic black tea).

the salt is for prevention of fungal infections whilst protecting against nitrogen compounds and aid healing where as the methylene blue is for infection prevention whilst aiding healing, black tea due to it's acidic tannins helps treat fungal infections and lethargy due to the caffeine, almond/catappa leaves would be more beneficial as the tannins are less acidic and can be soothing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back