Axolotl issues

Deetheking

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive noticed some light coloration on the gills of my axi and was wondering if this was fungus
20230806_102450.jpg

Attachments

• 20230806_102550.jpg
    20230806_102550.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
Hello!

I think it’s not fungus, but I’m not sure. If it’s a bit white/grey on the top of the gills, then it’s just the gills growing. But if it’s everywhere then it might be fungus. Tho, I don’t think it is since fungus is very cloudy and like cotton. If you could make screenshots of the gills without flash and maybe a bit more closer, then I think I could tell you. But I don’t recommend doing anything before someone texts you, since it might be just something else.

mbe a front on view pls? Also what are your paramaters. the image is a bit hard to see :)

20230807_093327.jpg
i hope these are better pictures, but thr water parameters are optimal for the axolotls via the forms.

Attachments

• 20230807_093333.jpg
    20230807_093333.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
Hmmmm, Im not sure about fungus since im not seeing any white balls or anything:). The only problem im seeing is that his gill filaments are looking a bit rough.

although you say the conditions are optimal via the forms, what are they ie.. temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, kh and gh if possible.
your axolotls gills are damaged so there is an issue.
add 2g/l non-iodised salt to the tank water.

the levels in the tank are optimal with the ph being between 7.4-7.8 and both the nitrates and nitrates being close to zero. Both the kh and gh are fine with around 7 dkh and 125.3ppm of gh

what is the ammonia? very important to test.
there should be zero nitrites (not even a trace)
there should be some nitrate (nitrates are removed via water changes, plants, special media or rectors).
the kh at 7° is good ideal is 3°-8°but the gh is low at around 7° ideal 7°-14°
please test using liquid tests for accuracy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
    AxieCrazy: My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple... +1
    Back