Illness/Sickness: Axolotl going cloudy white!

Staebae

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need some advice. I bought an axie about a month ago. Since then his skin has been going almost cloudy White. I take out all his uneaten food etc every day and I change his water once a week (with little changes throughout the week too). Is he sick? Or is there anything I can do to get rid of the discolouration? I don't know what to do! :(

Attachments

• IMG_6930.PNG
    IMG_6930.PNG
    581.9 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_6928.jpg
    IMG_6928.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_6927.jpg
    IMG_6927.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 350
It might be a fungal infection.
Treating Fungus (Salt Baths)

Fungus looks like cotton wool, fluffy, like the mold that grows on fruits. It can be fatal to an axolotl, especially if it envelops a large part of their body.
Fungus usually appears on a wound, such as if they get a foot bitten off, or a decent scratch. Here’s how to treat it!
Salt Baths!
Salt baths should be kept for only when you are certain it is fungus, as it can harm and stress your axie otherwise. To start with, try to gently remove some fungus with a cottonbud (qtip?) roll it against the fungus, gently, towards the axolotls body. If you roll against, it can pull, and tear the axolotl’s skin. It isn’t always easy to remove, so just try.
On to the salt baths

• Salt baths - Prepare a tub of fresh, dechlorinated water
  • Dissolve 2-3 teaspoons of non-iodized salt such as sea salt, fresh aquarium salt, kosher salt (do not use table salt!) per litre of water. Ensure that the salt is completely dissolved before putting the axolotl in the saltbath.
  • Leave axolotl in salt bath for 10 minutes, but no longer than 15 minutes as the salt will start to damage the axie’s skin and gills.... It could also be this: from photos of sick axolotls on caudata.org.
    white_skin.jpg
    White skin patches
Axolotl with white skin patches. The cause is unknown, but the owner believed it was not fungus, but a shedding problem or protozoan infection. The animal returned to normal after treatment with a tea bath (1 teabag/10 liters or 10 quarts water).

It looks like he has an unhappy slime coat. Perhaps do a few tea baths. You could also add almond leaves to your tank water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back