Question: Axolotl gills injured?

thegoldennugget

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Koren
Hi everyone, new here and haven't found anything that matched up to my question, but it looks like my little guy got two little scrapes on the top of his gills and might have cut the tip of one off on accident, probably swimming around (he gets very excited when i feed him). I noticed it the other day since they seemed to be such tiny wounds!

As ever though, I am extremely worried about him! I know how easy it is for them to get infected and even though i know that they are capable of growing back limbs and gills and the likes, i want to be sure that everything is going well. Nothing looks infected (i didn't even notice the two scrapes until i got close to him), his gills are pink and fluffy and he isn't acting strangely or not eating. In fact, everything seems to be normal except for the tip of one of his gills and the very minuscule scrapes. He swims happily around and relaxes in the hideaway i have.

I did take what i believed to be the culprit out of the tank (a hideaway rock) and moved everything from the walls as to give him room. My water is right around 61F, recently cleaned and changed and ph levels are where they're supposed to be. I fed him worms in the past but haven't since before he got these cuts, and have been sticking to pellets that he loves to eat.

Was wondering if there is anything more that i should do, or if i should be monitoring him for any changes? Again, the scrapes are so tiny that it'd be difficult to even get a picture of them to show you all. Any suggestions on anything else i should be doing? I just don't want to do anything wrong and hurt him!

All you need to do it watch for fungus (it will be fluffy, like cotton), keep the water temp stable and regularly test your water for ammonia (0ppm), nitrite (0ppm) and nitrates (<20ppm, water change when it gets higher). It should heal up pretty quickly!
What was the reason you switched from worms? I always recommend feeding worms as they are nutritionally complete. If your axolotl loves pellets then you could save them as a weekly treat. I've found pellets and frozen foods pollute the water really quick, so I offer them this once a week when I have them tubbed while doing water changes to avoid spoiling the water.

Awesome thank you! That makes me feel a lot better!

I think i might have gotten a weird batch from the worm farm (family friends, very trusted source for good quality worms that don't have any treatments or pesticides don't worry! I live in the middle of nowhere and this is the best place to get them!) because i noticed I had to fish the old worm pieces out from time to time; he'd turn his nose up at them and swim away. I was actually going to go and get worms from them the day i noticed his scrapes! That worried me so much i didn't want to put worms in there and potentially risk anything. I personally do like feeding him worms rather than the pellets as well and now that he's bigger and i have my own house i really want to try growing the worms myself.

What kind of worms were you using? The most readily available where I live are red wrigglers but they emit a smell/taste that axies (or me!) don't like. I've had the most success with nightcrawlers, but have to order them online as they aren't in local bait or fish stores.
Goodluck with the axie recovery!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back