Photo: Axolotl Genetics Pics included

Poliwhirl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all;

I've been trying to figure out what the genotype of my axolotls is based on the colours of the efts that they just laid. I have been following the guide on Axolotls.org (Here) and I think I've come to a conclusion.

using this:
1700665119675.png

So the adults themselves aren't albino so that means that they need to be A/a or A/A, and they are both dark which means that they equally must be D/d or D/D. The efts of the two are about 50:50 dark and light so they are definitely heterozygous for darkness and possibly albinism (but I won't know albinism until later on).

So A/a (m) and A/a (f) will either have 25% chance of having albino offspring; The same as D/d and D/d with the same 25% not dark.

If both parents were A/A and A/a or D/D and D/a then none of the offspring would be albino or pale so both parents MUST be heterozygous for both of those colour variants.

As far as I am aware both the adults are melanistic and don't have the melanoid pigment associated shiny eyes. Both eyes in both individuals are all dark meaning they are both m/m for melanism.

All together that means the adults are either

m/m ; A/a = Melanistic Albino

or

m/m ; D/d = Melanistic Dark (wild type?)

what I don't really understand is the whole axanthism thing comes in?

Here are some photos which may hopefully help to support what I've just said above...
1700665490892.png
1700665531293.png
1700665560811.png
1700665597532.png
1700665773949.png

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back