Axolotl don't eat after vomit

enzopc

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi gus! i have a problem with one of my axie. there are two one leucistic white and another yellow, probabily are two females. Four days ago i given one dead locust(i found a alredy dead from my breeding) at the yellow axolotl. and after 2 days vomiting and now i tried to feed him with a various foods, but him don't watch and don't want eat.

i hope my english is good:) i tried to explan for the better

this a pictures of my axolotls

Attachments

• P_20151120_175656_SRES.jpg
    P_20151120_175656_SRES.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 744
  • P_20151120_175748.jpg
    P_20151120_175748.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 352
  • P_20151120_175451.jpg
    P_20151120_175451.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 686
  • P_20151115_152413_SRES.jpg
    P_20151115_152413_SRES.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,000
You shouldn't give crustaceans, snails nor insects with hard exo skeletons. They are far too hard in texture for the Axolotl to digest properly.
The exo skeleton of insects and crustaceans is very, very hard and many animals have trouble with it. Sharp pieces can get stuck and even puncture innards - especially locusts that have legs with spikes and pointy ends - so don't give locusts to them.
Occasionally, I give mine some young Cherry shrimp, since they are soft and small - for them to hunt on their own in the tank - but nothing else when it comes to crustaceans.

I'm not really knowledgeable about the fridging process but from what I've read here and there - some choose to put their Axie in the fridge if it's constipated or needs to regurgitate something - until they poo or puke.
I'm sure someone who knows more about the fridging process can help you out with that bit - but DON'T give any food with a hard shell. It can be very harmful in worst case scenario.

Edit; Ps - Your leucistic is SO adorable! <3

Have you tested the parameters including ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and temperature? What foods are you offering?

Out of curiousity, what species of locust? I only ask because there are some that are poisonous. Its usually a noxious chemical that causes nausea and vomiting. Most noxious varieties have some bright coloration, usually reds, oranges or yellows.

Out of curiousity, what species of locust? I only ask because there are some that are poisonous. Its usually a noxious chemical that causes nausea and vomiting. Most noxious varieties have some bright coloration, usually reds, oranges or yellows.

Cool - I had no idea about this - are these rare species or common in the pet trade?

Here in the U.S. plant eating insects non indigenous to the immediate area require permits due to their potential for becoming a plant pest if released or escape. So not too common in this area in the pet trade. There are lubber grasshoppers (Romalea microptera) in the southeast U.S. that are numerous and easy to find as well as a handful of other less common species across the U.S. Being toxic isnt a very common trait among species of locust/grasshopper. Typically, theyre edible.

Sorry for the thread derail.

I used common locusts that giving my frogs, are not absolutely poisonous .....
the bug was already dead, I removed the wings and limbs before giving
probably it had been dead for some time and was not fresh
i feed my axle with earthworm, and sometimes crickets and mealworm. i don't know why i had the stupid idea giving that a dead locust

I don't think that the problem is that it was dead. Insects dry up rather than rot and I don't think that Axolotls would be sensitive to eating something dead unless it was really spoilt - like rotten meat or something.

I know that some people like to give their Axolotls crickets but I disagree with that as a feeding option for any newts/salamanders and many other animals as well.
The chitin is just too hard to digest and they can't chew it either. Weighing their value as a nutritient against the potential risks - I advice against using anything with a shell or exoskeleton, as food for Axies. (Unless juveniles that still hasn't got a hard chitin cover. There are other options that aren't harmful. Earthworms are splendid food for them. :)
I feed Axolotl pellets, earth worms and young guppies that I breed myself.
And release a handful of baby cherry shrimps every now and then so they have something to hunt :)

Mealworms, crickets and any other insects with chitin should be fed only as an occasional treat and not too often as it can be difficult for them to digest the hard exoskeleton and constipation can result. It could cause them to vomit as well. Try to cut back on feeding them these types of insects.

It may be that due to it being a bit dried up it was more difficult to digest as well.

Earthworms or good quality newt or axolotl pellets are good foods. Bloodworm is a good food for young juveniles or as a treat for older axolotls (they are not nutritionally enough for axolotls as the grow). Personally I would not offer fish as they may bring disease or parasites. If you do offer small feeding fish, make sure they are quarantined first. However they too do not provide enough nutrition so I would opt for more nutritious foods such as earthworms as their main diet.

in fact from now i will not go more with insect with exoskeleton, but i will use only earthworm and pellet, but now what do you think i must do for my yellow axolotl? she don't eat e not interested at food....i must wait?fridge? which solutions for feeding still ?

and another thing i noticed him almost tried vomiting, but nothing get out, the first time get out the dead locust, but today i seen him tried still, i haven't gravel, it's pure glass, i don't know what i must do for him now...
this the five/six day without eat

this pics of today and comparison with the other it's more skinny....

Attachments

• 20151121_081654.jpg
    20151121_081654.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 20151121_081327.jpg
    20151121_081327.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 332
  • 20151121_081648.jpg
    20151121_081648.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,838
Hello Enzopc! Sorry to hear your axolotl is unwell. I have had a similar time myself with my own axolotl.

Is your axolotl a boy or a girl? Has he/she experienced any changes in temperature lately?

I'm asking because my axolotl is a girl also. I have noticed that girls seem to 'hunger strike' if they are holding eggs, to reabsorb them. Mine also hunger strike when they are too warm. I have solved this by using an external filter and by waiting until my girl's hunger strike was over.

Your female still looks very good - maybe she has lost a little weight, but otherwise she looks healthy and plump. Is she active since vomiting?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back