Question: Axie eggs

cornflakegrl

Reaction score
Display Name
Vanessa
Hello!
My Axies laid eggs for the first time, and I am completely ecstatic! I'm not quite sure precisely how old they are (I found them on 2/1), but as of today, I'm thinking they are around 8-9 days as I noticed some twitching today. Sound about right?
The eggs were attached to decor and plants, so I just put all of it in a 10 gallon tank (filled with the original tank water and a small AquaClear filter with a sponge on the end).
I have a 3 gallon jar that I run baby brine shrimp in (this ain't my first aquatic rodeo - I've bred all kinds of madness before), and I have some delicious blackworms on order.
Question time! I understand they're highly cannabalistic, but if very well fed, could I potentially grow them out together in a 40 gallon breeder or do they need to be in individual containers? I do have a mountain of plastic shoe box-like things that I can use, so it's not biggie.
The first picture is from 2/3/15, the second is 2/4/15, and the third is from 2/5.
Thanks so much!

Attachments

• axie2-3.jpg
    axie2-3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 208
  • axie2-4.jpg
    axie2-4.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 217
Some people choose to raise them individually but its loads of work if your using baby brine shrimp, I raise them communally.

The pics are from my current axolotls, the first tub contains about 300 larvae on twice daily water changes with BBS and light aeration, the batch is due to be split over two tubs. The second PIC shows a hatching tub with 400+ eggs about to hatch and a tub with 120 older larvae, they are on BBS and chopped whiteworm. Those tubs were in the process of being cleaned so the water level is quite low. The final PIC shows 3" axolotls, stocking density is lower, daily water changes, plants and they are fed on frozen bloodworm, live white worm and they have been introduced to 1mm pellets.

Attachments

• IMG_20150206_153901.jpg
    IMG_20150206_153901.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_20150206_153852.jpg
    IMG_20150206_153852.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_20150206_153812.jpg
    IMG_20150206_153812.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 204
Wow, thanks a lot, Nai live! The pics and descriptions are very helpful! I appreciate it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back