Axi having a cut on his mouth ;(

Melina

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello!
Recently I looked at my axolotl and uhm… he kinda has a cut on his mouth? It’s like a little piece of his skin attached to his mouth– so what I mean is when u cut paper like a triangle, but it’s still attached to his mouth. I tested the ph levels etc. and they seem to be good, so I think it’s a lower chance for him to get an injection, right? Anyways, my suspicion is that he either fought with his roommates- or he just scratched himself on something..

I can send photos if needed!

better to see pictures but most small wounds heal on their own without need for medications etc..

Hello!
Recently I looked at my axolotl and uhm… he kinda has a cut on his mouth? It’s like a little piece of his skin attached to his mouth– so what I mean is when u cut paper like a triangle, but it’s still attached to his mouth. I tested the ph levels etc. and they seem to be good, so I think it’s a lower chance for him to get an injection, right? Anyways, my suspicion is that he either fought with his roommates- or he just scratched himself on something..

I can send photos if needed!
photos would be appreciated. if you think he may have any risk of an infection, i'd tub him and start tea baths. meth. blue is also a good option. check all tank decor for sharp edges, and remove//sand them down as needed. if you think it was a case of another axolotl biting him, you may want to consider separating them permanently

photos would be appreciated. if you think he may have any risk of an infection, i'd tub him and start tea baths. meth. blue is also a good option. check all tank decor for sharp edges, and remove//sand them down as needed. if you think it was a case of another axolotl biting him, you may want to consider separating them permanently
Thanks! I will send u photos soon since it’s night for me.. but I did check for some sharp edges and it seems like the rock might be a bit sharp, I will try removing that in the morning! Thank you for the advice :) also, I noticed he wouldn’t eat (he would spit his food out), could that be because of the cut?

Here is the photo! I’m sorry if u can’t see it clearly, he’s hiding right now 😅

Attachments

• 96045A36-07B7-491F-997A-922D618B4F98.jpeg
    96045A36-07B7-491F-997A-922D618B4F98.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 113

Attachments

• 94507F86-CB52-4966-96EF-6AD2FCA4F471.jpeg
    94507F86-CB52-4966-96EF-6AD2FCA4F471.jpeg
    854.6 KB · Views: 77
it doesn't look as bad as i had feared, but it is probably somewhat painful for him- which may be why he won't eat. i would tub him just in case, and start methelyene blue treatments to prevent any nastiness in his wound. keep offering him food consistently, and be sure that his temperature is stable

it doesn't look as bad as i had feared, but it is probably somewhat painful for him- which may be why he won't eat. i would tub him just in case, and start methelyene blue treatments to prevent any nastiness in his wound. keep offering him food consistently, and be sure that his temperature is stable
Thank you! But since I sadly don’t have methylyene blue at home, are tea baths an option?

Thank you! But since I sadly don’t have methylyene blue at home, are tea baths an option?
tea baths should work as an antifungal and to soothe the skin, yes. meth. blue is pretty cheap and you can find it in most aquarium stores, id recommended having some on hand :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back