Anyone know what this is? (non newt question) blackworm kids?

S

steve

I seen today on my zaire tree root (covered with algae) some blackworms (white in color) moving about the root. ALSO, I seen these little "sperm like" clear/whitish things moving "looks like almost walking" around too. Any idea what these are? Are they blackworm kids something?

here's two photos (large to show the little "sperms")

steve

2216.jpg

2215.jpg

(if jarid is correct) where did i get these from? This is a older tank and Ive never bought cyclops. Could they of been stowaways in a blkworm shipment i bought? Also: do they hide away in the gravel and only seeing them now, because i moved a algae tree root into the bottom?

These must be young then because I read they are "red" in color, also, they are crab-like and could hurt smaller fry/fish/etc..?

steve

I agree with jarid, the smaller dot ones look like my cyclops culture. As for the worms I have no clue...maybe blackworm/tubifex worms?

I don't think the cyclops would harm any fry or anything...they're pretty small.

The small animal is a species of Cyclops. I haven't seen blackworms in person so I can't tell you what the worms are, but you seem to know already. Cyclops are nearly impossible to avoid in any tank, except one full of small newt larvae because they get eaten. All of my tanks have Cyclops in them. Most Cyclops species you'll encounter are harmless, and the ones that aren't are way too small to harm adult or juvenile newts.

Any healthy "old" tank setup will be crawling - literally - with micro-organisms. With a microscope, you can totally gross yourself out (or be fascinated, depending on your inclination). Most of them are too small to see, but a few can be seen with the naked eye (like those in your picture). They arrive in many ways - in foods, in new plants, as spores carried in dust from outdoors, etc. They are almost always harmless. Often, they will "bloom" (suddenly there are tons of them) but they usually go away or decrease without any effort, except for keeping the tank debris cleaned up.

Here is a nicely-organized page with links to photographs of many of the micro-organisms that show up in aquariums:
http://microscopy-uk.org.uk/pond/index.html

Hi All,
There are some species of copopods that can and will predate upon larval fish (both fresh water and marine). While keeping this in mind they still make wonderful food for many small newts and salamanders. The smaller dots are copopods.
Most of the worms look to be a type of nematode but there are a couple that show annulations which would mean that they are not nematode but annelids. It is unlikly that the nematodes in the picture are parasitic as most of these do not spend significant amounts of time out of the host as active adults.
The copepods can come in from many sources including dust particles. If you used soil, mosses, or plants in the enclosure this is the most probably way for these animals to appear in the mix. It is also possible that they were introduces via the blackworms or any other live type food items.
It is very common for large numbers of small organisms to become established in aquariums over time, particuarly if there is a good cover base for them such as your algae and a sufficent organic food source.
Ed

get a microscope n see if you cant catch one and look at it..... my favorite are the Tardigrades, or "water bears" they're really cute.

i was thinking last night, tardigrades seem to crawl along the substrate they're on, and can be up to 2 mm in length. but get a microscope, see what you've got.

i was thinking last night, tardigrades seem to crawl along the substrate they're on, and can be up to 2 mm in length. but get a microscope, see what you've got.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back