Any advice on raising earthworms for axie food?

Egglebear

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Emilie xXx
Hello
my babies axies are on frozen blood worms at the moment but i'd really like to get them eating live food such as earth worms, but i want to raise worms tht dont have any parasites or germs that might affect my axies.

Emilie
xxxx

You can purchase earthworms from a fishing tackle shop or from Worms Direct UK - worms for fishing, fishing bait, worms for bait, Dendrobaena for fishing, fishing bait wholesalers, these will be safe to consume.

I too had no idea how to keep earthworms...here is the advice given to me by Azhael

'i would recommend placing them in a big tupperware (i use a 90l one), with decent aereation. Make sure to preapre the substrate a week before the worms arrive. Mix a small amount of vegetable scraps with lots of shreded cardboard, some soil and leaf litter. By the time the worms arrive, it should contain enough microlife to sustain them'.

I make it easy. I use a shoebox sized container with no lid. Shredded paper, cardboard, organic peat and soil. I cover it with 2 paper towels.
I bought 3 containers of what we call red wigglers here (Eisenia foetida) a few months ago and dumped them in. I stir it daily while feeding to keep the soil aerated and to check the moistness. It needs to be moist but NOT wet. I keep the paper towels on top wet. I also keep it in a slightly open drawer as they don't like light. I've always got eggs and baby worms. It was supposedly 150 worms to start. I still have lots of worms from about 1" to 3-4".
Of course worm species will determine method. :happy:

I bought 200g on ebay this week, should arrive today.

Just shows you really can get anything on Ebay.

I wonder what difference Earthworms will make to an axies behaviour, especially if he's never eaten them before in his life.

Nice tips guys, I was wondering how to keep mine :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Dnurnberg:
    Will the shrimp eat the worms?
    +1
    Unlike
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
    Michelle1981: Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any... +1
    Back