And now they finally eat!

grius

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
This is awesome news for me that i want to share.

As for some others (what i have read here) i have had probleme feeding worms to tiger salamanders as they refuse them (dont know wich species worm i got, but they sure smells bad) However. that changed thanks to a new method i tried some days ago. And after soon 1,5years they finally have begin to accept worms!

First atempt 4 days ago the smaller tiger ate so many as 5st mediom size. And yesterday it ate 4st. So i know it was not just a temporary thing. The larger ate 2st in the first feeding and yesterday only 1st.But thats because he/she did enter the water container to late (were feeding take place) so i thought i should whait untill today and try again.

Easy method. First i put the worms in hot water, for about 30-40seconds to really make sure they are dead. I do this because of another probleme i notice a while ago, worms escaping while tigers tried to swallow. That was the main reason. But it also take away secretion.
After a time in hot water i move them to coold water for 1-2minues before feeding.

When i have tried to give worms on land they usuallu spit them out and rub their nose in substrate a while after.

So try this if you have same probleme with you salamanders, it worked for me.
Regrads.

That's good news! I´m happy for you and your tigers, I know you´ve been struggling to get them to take worms. And thanks for sharing your method!

That's good news! I´m happy for you and your tigers, I know you´ve been struggling to get them to take worms. And thanks for sharing your method!

Thank you Vide! It was a fantastic suprice..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back