an anecdote about newt-keeping

Nemesor Jack

Reaction score
Country
United States
Back in the 90's, petsmart used to sell "firebelly" newts. I had always wanted some, and when I finally got an apartment with no roomates to wreck things, I built a 125 gallon fish tank out of acrylic.

And being a younger guy with no/very limited internet access, I threw everything I ever wanted in there. It was awesome. For a while.

Eventually the pleco and the crayfish ate all the plants, the neon tetras all grew fuzzy, and the newts kept dying. Everything else did fine though. Water quality was perfect. Temp was nice and warm - it was Florida and I had several hundred watts of lights for the plants - didn't even *need* a heater....

So I did some research and found out petsmart was selling cold water animals in a tropical hell hole. Whoops.

The surviving half dozen newts relocated to a ten gallon and I rotated out frozen water bottles. For years. That sucked and some more eventually died.

When small solid state chillers became available, I drilled and cracked several ten-gal aquariums only to find the chiller didn't work that great. So the surviving two newts lived with a chiller and ice bottles for a few more years. Then one of them disappeared. I found it 4 years later when I moved out, mummified in a closet.

The last newt was a champ, and I wish I could have bred him. He survived until 2014 when a power outage (in the Florida summer) killed him and all of the latest batch of neons. I wanted more, but by that point, newts were hard to find. Also, I didn't want to go through another darwinian (lower case on purpose) process to get some heat-tolerant coldwater pets. I looked around for warm-water newts, but the closest I could find were all too big for my tastes. And still not really warm water. In Florida, the residential air conditioners cannot keep up with late afternoon summer, so house temperatures usually get up into the 80's whether you want them there or not. I am sure someone will dispute that, but that was my experience, and the experience of my friends and family. And as long as we weren't in formal dress, it was ok. 80's is just fine in your boxers and flip flops - the traditional Florida garb. Now you know why Florida man is always half-naked in the news stories.

I recently moved a thousand miles north and have a nice basement where the temperature hangs around 55 in naturally evolved F units (13 in elitist desk jockey C units). So time for newts again!

I was going to get a batch of cynop orientalis and start breeding them, because I think that is probably what petsmart sold me back in the day, but discovered cynops cyanurus thanks to youtube. A temperate water newt just about the right size! I could keep these guys on my desk upstairs! I wish I had known about them back in Florida.

And then a few months later, Amazonas magazine did a story on them. Crrraaaaapp. I imagine demand for them has probably gone up a bit, and they weren't easy to find in the first place. So here I am, dutifully writing five (mostly) non-spam posts to prove my forum cred.... So I can start spamming "WTB C. Cyanurus babies!" in the grown-up threads. All day and all night. So there we go. Five posts posted. Hopefully they'll remove the "new" tag from my profile now. After 10 years.

I remember as a kid having California newts from the local pet store. I have never seen any anywhere else in my entire life. It's really sad that newts and salamanders are no longer available. I'm from central Arkansas, so I completely understand the blistering summer temperatures. Like you I'll have to sit and wait for October for breeding season and temperatures low enough to allow shipping. Good luck on your search and welcome to the "not new" club.

I recently read about the Burma Crocodile Newt (Tylototriton verrucosus), which may be able to stand temperatures of up to 28°C without problems.. sources vary a bit, "26°C is not a problem, temporarily up to 32°C", that kinda range. That's probably as extreme as it can get for a newt. They're kind of cute too. From what I understand require CITES papers though.

I am starting to develop a conditioned response to the letters "CITES". It is not a positive one.

I am starting to develop a conditioned response to the letters "CITES". It is not a positive one.

CITES and my local nature protection office also seem to be some of my biggest adversaries in life. Reminded about it by your comment, I spent about 2 hours last night searching for a serious CITES-hate faction but couldn't find one. Wikipedia lists no criticism, so I guess everyone is mostly happy with it. I guess its not worth opening a thread for, but just to get this off my chest:

In Germany, every local nature protection office does its own thing. You run into them, if an animal you want to keep is either protected due to being native to Europe, or being listed in CITES. Some offices will just ask for your amount of newts per species twice a year, and you'll never have personal contact. You just send in a list and you're fine, best case scenario. Others will ask for the entire supply chain of the animal to prove its legitimacy upon registration, including data of former owners that you're not guaranteed to have access to + the bi-annual list.
Others, like mine, will literally come to your house and photograph everything and ask you questions for an hour if you happen to have offspring of a protected species. And ask you to keep a book of every individual newts birthday (or the "crawl on land"-month) and death. I think my local nature protection office might have simply overstepped its mission and maybe even their authority. They probably got very slow days at the office and thought they could go on an excursion. It was at my expense, as I really dont like involuntary human contact.

After my palmate newts had babies and the local nature protection office came with cameras, I felt like I had committed a serious crime and was now storing illegal contraband. I never wanted to have that experience again, so I got rid of my native German newts (which have protected status here due to being native).

It doesn't seem physically possible to me to assign birthdays or months to a bunch of newt babies which all look the same, and then maintain this assignment during their lives, like giving them an ID and so on. I just have larvae in a tank and whatever crawls out from there gets transferred to semi-land tanks etc. I'm not intending to brag when I say that I don't even count them. A few of them are likely to die, it will be painful, I dont want to keep written memories of this. I like to get the unfortunate deaths out of my sight and forget about it.

When reporting deaths to the local nature protection office, I always felt bad about it. And I felt a bit worse when I found out that they don't even properly document what I sent and their numbers didn't match mine.

Currently considering to acquire and breed some neurergus crocatus. But considering that, on top of needing a CITES documentation, I also have to deal with the local nature protection office, because of the neurergus' status as a protected species, I might just not.

And I think there are many cases like mine.
I'm not fully convinced that making it insanely annoying and difficult to breed rare species in captivity is doing a big service to the wild specimen. Our CITES papers don't really stop people from poaching newts in their home habitats. Pretty sure that poaching is best stopped by having foresters or other wildlife conservation personnel on the ground in the newts natural habitats...

I have a hard time believing that poaching is anywhere near the problem they pretend it is. They need to justify their existence to their betters, and scary poachers make a better story than habitat destruction.... habitat destruction caused by the same corporations that own their masters. I don't know much about German government, but could you start a campaign against the local nature protection office and get them defunded or dissolved?

Believe it or not, a bunch of cities in the US just defunded their police due to popular demand. I'm still a little surprised it happened. Seems like you could make a strong case the nature protection people are just a waste of tax money, or are crooked, or no longer necessary. Maybe just claim they are racist against immigrants, that should get them immediately disbanded....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back