Illness/Sickness: Ammonia spikes in a finicky tank

Xenurine

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have now had my Axolotl for several months, and even though I am inexperienced in keeping caudates; I feel that through extensive research, constant monitoring, and excessive worrying, I have been doing alright in trying to provide a pleasant life for my axie. However, I have had difficulties from the beginning; I purchased my animal before having time to cycle a tank, and this has been a major problem. I have been buying purified (reverse osmosis) water to fill her tank and to do water changes with, I have never used anything but purified water with her.
So here is my issue. I have a 7 inch axolotl in a 10 gallon tank that already seems far too small. The tank has never cycled through despite having daily water changes and weekly cleanings. To this day there have not been readable amounts of Nitrates or Nitrites in the water to combat the ever fluctuating ammonia levels. I have attempted to use Tetra SafeStart with no luck, and I started to use Prime every other day to keep the ammonia from spiking too high, but regardless of what I do, I have not seen the ammonia below 2.0 for at least a month now.
With these constant cleanings, water changes, and Prime, I was able to keep the ammonia from rising above 4.0, but it only barely. A few days ago, there was an inexplicable ammonia spike and within a day my little Axie began to show signs of burns on her body. Her skin is very pink and peeling on the sides, her usually full and frilly gills are now drooping and degrading. I removed her from the water into a small bin so that I could thoroughly clean her tank, and as of now that is where she remains until I can ensure I am not putting her back in to a deathtrap.
Here is the basic information on her tank. I bought a new 10 gallon tank before buying her, and filled it with water I buy from a store that is purified through reverse osmosis. She has no substrate, four fake plants, a small ceramic vase thing, and some lucky bamboo growing inside of a submarine decoration she grew out of. I also have two bio sponge filters running off a 50 gallon Tetra Air Pump in the back of the tank. Her temps are always between 61-68 Fahrenheit and I have multiple bottles of frozen water in varying sizes to ensure it stays about 63 Fahrenheit at all times. She is usually a very active animal and never showed signs of stress until now. She usually eats a large earthworm in the morning and another large earthworm at night but has not been interested in them very much for a couple of days now. I change 20% of her water every other day and add 5mL of Prime on the days in between. I use API test strips to check her Nitrates/Nitrites/pH and API liquid solutions to test her ammonia. As I mentioned before, her ammonia is typically between 2.0 - 4.0 and there have never been any readable traces of Nitrates or Nitrites. Her pH is usually at 6.5 as well.
Please send feedback. I try my hardest to be a responsible animal keeper and to give the animals under my care the best possible life I can provide. If there is something I mentioned that you see is an issue, please let me know what I can do to correct it. If I forgot to mention something or you see there is something I am not doing that I should, ask me questions and alert me to where the problem is.

Here are pictures of her before and one of how she looks currently.

IMG_20140723_110648.jpg

IMG_20140723_110010.jpg

IMG_20140813_091909.jpg

Are you really putting 5ml of Prime in every other day?? Or is that a typo?? You can put TOO MUCH Prime in the tank!! That may be something that is hindering your tank from cycling! I'm not positive of that, but I AM positive that too much Prime can be toxic to a lot of fish, so I can only assume it could be toxic for an axie too! For 10 gallons of water straight out of the tap, the dose is only 20 drops!! You should only be adding enough for the water that you are adding to the tank!! There is no chemical out there that is better than a water change!! Too many chemicals of any kind is bad!! The fewer you use, the better!!!

Also, the more you clean, the longer your cycle will take. If you are deep cleaning, it will never cycle!

At this point, you should keep the axie out, do daily 100% water changes in the container you are keeping it in, and get your tank cycled before you put it back in. You are going to have to have a source of ammonia to complete the cycle, though. Pure ammonia from the hardware store will work.

What kind of filter are you using?

Sorry.....just re-read about your filters.

While your tank is cycling, it would be best to let the water warm up. The warmer the water, the faster the cycle will finish.

Is there a particular reason you are using purified water? Is there something wrong with the water at your home?

I had feared that I was using too much Prime, in the beginning I only added 1mL but when the ammonia continued to rise I found information that advised using five times the usual amount if ammonia levels were too extreme. I am not a huge fan of using chemicals on my animals but as you can probably tell, I have been desperate to keep my little one safe and healthy. I understand that I may be over doing it, I'm just so paranoid about not giving this animal enough care.
I am leaving the axolotl out of the tank until I can get this figured out, so is my best/quickest option to do 100% changes until the tank is cycled? Should I just use regular tap water to do so? I have been buying purified water because the tap water here does contain a lot of minerals and such, but if I use prime to treat it would that be better? I have never had any issues getting ammonia introduced in to the tank, but I seriously need a better way to get nitrates/nitrites in there, would using tap water help introduce these?

I *believe* the ph is too low (it's acidic), which would be due to using purified water (which is ph 6, not 7). I don't know how well the good bacteria can grow/thrive in this ph. Have you tested GH/KH, i.e. hardness? Ideally this should be a higher value to buffer changes in the tank chemistry.

Nitrites and nitrates don't "combat" ammonia; in fact you want 0 nitrites in a cycled tank.

In the meantime, the larger the tank you have your axie in, the more 'buffering' you'll have against rapid increases in ammonia, etc..

You don't want ammonia to be anywhere near 2 with your axie in the tank. Maybe .25? Best 0.

In case it's not clear, don't add ammonia to a tank with an axie in it.

Since you're in an emergency, this might help:

Biologically Active Sponge Filters for Aquarium

I've not used one of these, but it's probably the next closest thing to a cycled tank.

Here's some additional reading:
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

You do not want to do water changes while you are cycling without your axie in the tank, unless ammonia or nitrite levels get extremely high. There is nothing living in the tank, so no worries about the levels otherwise.

You cannot introduce nitrites and nitrates.....they are a product of the good bacteria breaking down the ammonia.

Tap water has minerals in it, yes........aquatic animals need some of these minerals. RO water has been cleared of EVERYTHING, including the good stuff. Prime will get rid if the chlorine, chloramines, etc., that are bad for the axies. No other measures are needed.

I know you have a lot of ammonia in your tank, but if there is nothing living in it, there won't be any. You have to "feed" the bacteria in order for them to grow and multiply. If there is no ammonia introduced into the tank on a regular basis during the cycle, it won't work.

Search for and read the threads on this forum about cycling your tank. Then come back here and ask any questions you have about it! Everyone is here to help!

And FYI: The products that are meant to speed up cycling or skip it altogether are USELESS!!! I've had tanks for 35 years, and I have tried them all.....don' t waste your money and don't trust any of these products!!!

If you feel the tank is already too small I'd suggest buying a bigger one and start cycling that one or you'll have to go through the process twice. Keep your axie in a separate container with daily 100% water changes until the tank is cycled.

For cycling you will need the tank filled with water, filter, pure ammonia and a water testing kit (if you use test strips make sure to store and use them correctly or the results won't be accurate). Put 4 ppm ammonia in the tank. Test the water daily. Once you see the ammonia starts going down you need to also start testing nitrite. Start adding ammonia so it stays at about 4 ppm. A little while later nitrite will start going down and you get nitrates in your tank. Keep adding ammonia and testing the water daily. Once the cycle can convert 4 ppm ammonia into 0 ammonia and nitrite in 24 hours the cycle is ready. Then do a big water change to get nitrates down to about 10-20 ppm and after that you can put your axie back in there. The cycle will take care of ammonia and nitrite and nitrates are removed by weekly water changes. Ammonia and nitrite should always be 0 in a cycled tank (they're very toxic) and nitrate should be under 40 ppm (is also dangerous in higher concentrations).

After that keep testing the water regularly to make sure the cycle is still working like it should.

Never add ammonia in a tank where there's living animals, their wastes will provide ammonia for the cycle.

Alright, I have several great sources of information and I will begin a fresh cycle in the 20 gallon I purchased this afternoon. I have not been able to find pure ammonia without surficates in the stores I checked but I will go looking again tomorrow. My axie is alright for now in her little tub so I should be able to have her there until things are all set up and safe. I feel so horrible for letting things get to this point, but hopefully I can get things on track now.

One place to find some pure ammonia is a hardware store such as ACE hardware many people on here have gotten pure ammonia from there it's worth a look

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back