Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
A few days ago I got here to my house one Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum. A novelty and joy! The ambiystomas are much more spectacular live and in color than in pictures.
My problem is that she eats four earthworms per week. At this speed any day ends with the culture! lol
You who are already dealing with these girls over time by chance I do not mean that food can give them instead? I know what they eat, just want to know according to your experience the best that they accept!

Tanks

I do not think has been captive bred! She came from there (U.S.). However I have heard that it is possible to create some species of Ambystoma in captive bred. Do not ask me how it is! This is a secret of the Gods! lol
Does she accept dead cockroach? I do not like the idea of having live cockroaches in the house. lol

Tigers can usually be convinced to take dead prey from tongs; just wave the food in front of its face. I used to feed my A. tigrinum various dead insects and occasional bits of beef heart this way; I assume A. mavortium would behave the same way.

Those cockroaches come from the most filthy sewers in portugal carring a lot of patogens and several lethal desiases. Be sure to keep them away from the salamanders.
You can try to feed him small pieces of suine ham. I had a lot of sucess using it. Just be sure salt is not present in what you are feeding.
Baratas o thanas! Fda-se...

cheers,

jorge

In my experience, Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum [a common local animal], A.mavortium mavortium, A.tigrinum, and A.californiense are extremely easy to feed. Very soon after getting them, they will respond whenever they see you or when you approach the tank, expecting to be fed. They will snap at everything (and be very poor at actually CATCHING it), including fingers. They will actually grab onto fingertips and can be lifted into the air, where they will continue to try to swallow your finger. They can carefully be removed by blocking them with another finger and gradually forcing them back. Their teeth are like sandpaper, so it will do no harm to you or the animal. They will eat rodents, frogs, worms, insects, fish, snakes - if it ever resembled something edible and hits them in the face, they will eat it, live or dead.

In my experience, Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum [a common local animal], A.mavortium mavortium, A.tigrinum, and A.californiense are extremely easy to feed. Very soon after getting them, they will respond whenever they see you or when you approach the tank, expecting to be fed. They will snap at everything (and be very poor at actually CATCHING it), including fingers. They will actually grab onto fingertips and can be lifted into the air, where they will continue to try to swallow your finger. They can carefully be removed by blocking them with another finger and gradually forcing them back. Their teeth are like sandpaper, so it will do no harm to you or the animal. They will eat rodents, frogs, worms, insects, fish, snakes - if it ever resembled something edible and hits them in the face, they will eat it, live or dead.

Pfft, tell that to my tiger. He's a picky little brat and likes to take his sweet time before final snapping at what I offer him. He won't eat any type of soft bodied worm (eg. waxworms, phoenix worms, butterworms, silkworms). The only things I've got him to actively eat are crickets and superworms. And if it isn't wiggling he doesn't pay it much attention.

Hi guys,
after reading your answers I came to a consensus.
As live food based'll give her as I give all my newts, earthworms . Then instead I'll see if it picks up in some soft-bodied worms that I can get here very easily. As an alternative dead food she says she likes pork, chicken and ham. lol
Baratas o thanas! Fda-se... ;)

Thanks to all

My Tiger likes to eat WOrms and crickets and meal worms.. I Feed her a lot of Dew Worms i catch at night (no my lawn doesnt use pesticides or do my neighbors) She has crickets as well and i dust them with the protein so that she has a enriched diet.. Though she is a little on the chunkey side these days and i think i have to wean her down a little bit.. ( Jenny Craig her ***) anyhow she is easy to feed will eat from my hands but does prefer live food:>

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back