1st time Grandpa

timohaxy72

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! Im Tim from the Cleveland OH area and I'm new to breeding axies; although I have been an adoptive parent of the female (Axy) for 3 yrs. :)
As my first time - just posting here to open myself up for any constructive feedback :cool: and if it helps any other n00bs.
Also, making sure things are progressing as expected (I have no personal baseline yet) along the way.

I'll try to keep this updated as things progress. Please lean in if you see something detrimental!

Estimated time started: 9/28/2024 ~8am ET
Current Hour Count: 60 Hours

Parents:
Mom (Axy) - parents unknown:
1727745245753.png

Dad (Ash) - was told melanoid:
1727745391472.png

Will break up into smaller updates (like anyone cares!!) :)

Last edited:
Laying Date: 09/28/2024

Woke up Saturday morning - and made the morning rounds (axies, salt water tanks, guppy tanks (breeders, babies, etc)) and was elated to find Axy had started laying eggs. Let her finish her business for a day then collected.

1727745557695.png

1727745632283.png

1727745932189.png

Setup of Birthing room :) cycled for 3 days prior - small sponge filter in corner -very min flow created.

1727746616949.png
1727746710262.png

Questions: ok to do a WC on the parents' tank (had done the cold water trick Friday 9-27. params normal

Anything look wonky w the larva(e)?

Thanks so much!

Tim

Sunday night. So about 1 week now. Live food cultures started. Brine and Daphnia.

Ty Juliana from Great Lakes Fish here in Macedonia for taking me through her process. Invaluable. So knowledgeable. Ty

IMG_1290.jpeg
IMG_1288.jpeg
IMG_1282.jpeg
View attachment IMG_1192.jpeg
IMG_1194.jpeg

Hi,
Many bad eggs (white fuzzy fungus) but some may develop well.
Try to sort them because the fungus could spread from mouldy eggs to healthy ones.

Good point for brine shrimps and daphnia.
Brine shrimp will hatch within 2 days and will dye 1 or 2 days after. Wait until axies larvae hatch ; they wont need food during their 2 first days.

Hi,
Many bad eggs (white fuzzy fungus) but some may develop well.
Try to sort them because the fungus could spread from mouldy eggs to healthy ones.

Good point for brine shrimps and daphnia.
Brine shrimp will hatch within 2 days and will dye 1 or 2 days after. Wait until axies larvae hatch ; they wont need food during their 2 first days.
Thank you!

Good news !
Not yet able to eat - dont feed it now

Generally, larvae start eating a few days after hatching.
A larva ready to eat :
- has no more vitellus (sort of reserve on the belly),
- stands on its belly, and not on its side,
- has fully developped gills.

Giving brine shrimps when the larvae cannot eat yet is risky because brine shrimps will die within a few hours in fresh water.
If you really want to give them something, you can give them a few daphnias, which will remain alive and probably product tiny offsprings.
(but in this case, dont make daily water changes)

Have 12 larvae that move so far. With different lighting today I can still see they are encased.

Attachments

• IMG_1335.jpeg
    IMG_1335.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back