Illness/Sickness: Need to give my Spanish Ribbed Newt .02ml Metronidazole

It’s weird how one day, he looks like he’s gaining weight, his ribs are showing less, but then the next day he looks lighter and his ribs are showing like before. I wish he could have given a sample, he couldn’t.
During their natural hibernation process they will release little to no stool, as their body's metabolism has begun to slow down, and they pack on weight for the winter months.

After they emerge from natural hibernation healthy newts will have many big stool samples.

Usually during spring/summer time mine pass stool shortly after every meal, but neither one of them has passed much stool since November last year, a sign that their hibernation is happening soon.

This could be why he's eating often and not passing much stool.

During their natural hibernation process they will release little to no stool, as their body's metabolism has begun to slow down, and they pack on weight for the winter months.

After they emerge from natural hibernation healthy newts will have many big stool samples.

Usually during spring/summer time mine pass stool shortly after every meal, but neither one of them has passed much stool since November last year, a sign that their hibernation is happening soon.

This could be why he's eating often and not passing much stool.

Oh! None of the newts I’ve ever owned hibernated. In total, including the 3 now, I’ve had 6 Spanish Ribbed Newts.
I started with a mating pair, but my female got a bacterial/fungal infection and passed away when I gave them the 30 Gal tank. My male fell into a depression. I know people say they don’t, but my guy did. So, I got a cute little girl (who was pink). I placed her in the tank and she disappeared and I never saw her again. I had no clue what happened to her, I couldn’t find her anywhere. So I got another girl, who looked like him (greenish black) and she vanished. Then one day, Pinky, that’s what my son named her, appeared in the middle of the tank swimming. And then the next day, Midgie (she was only 4 inches long), showed up. Newty (my awesome male) was so happy to have his two friends and then Pinky became his new mate. I felt bad for Midgie, because she was so tiny. But the three got along so well.

Here’s a picture of Pinky and Midgie
IMG_0997.jpeg

Oh! None of the newts I’ve ever owned hibernated. In total, including the 3 now, I’ve had 6 Spanish Ribbed Newts.
I started with a mating pair, but my female got a bacterial/fungal infection and passed away when I gave them the 30 Gal tank. My male fell into a depression. I know people say they don’t, but my guy did. So, I got a cute little girl (who was pink). I placed her in the tank and she disappeared and I never saw her again. I had no clue what happened to her, I couldn’t find her anywhere. So I got another girl, who looked like him (greenish black) and she vanished. Then one day, Pinky, that’s what my son named her, appeared in the middle of the tank swimming. And then the next day, Midgie (she was only 4 inches long), showed up. Newty (my awesome male) was so happy to have his two friends and then Pinky became his new mate. I felt bad for Midgie, because she was so tiny. But the three got along so well.

Here’s a picture of Pinky and MidgieView attachment 97234
But October 2022, Pinky and Newty got a Fungal infection. Midgie got it, so did Suzie, thankfully I saved Midgie and Suzie, but I couldn’t save Pinky or Newty. In December, after grieving and making sure the girls were doing ok, that’s when I got Chill and Escape Artist.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back