Female eastern red spotted newt has not moved much in last week. Help!

Dnurnberg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. My female red spotted newt hasn't moved much in a week. What can I do?

Hello. My female red spotted newt hasn't moved much in a week. What can I do?

Need a lot more information.

1) Is this an adult or an eft?
2) Terrestrial or aquatic?
3) Temperature of the enclosure?
4) If this is aquatic, have you used a liquid test kit to measure ammonia and nitrite? If so, what are the values
5) Pictures would be helpful
6) What have you been feeding them?

Need a lot more information.

1) Is this an adult or an eft?
2) Terrestrial or aquatic?
3) Temperature of the enclosure?
4) If this is aquatic, have you used a liquid test kit to measure ammonia and nitrite? If so, what are the values
5) Pictures would be helpful
6) What have you been feeding them?
I purchased 5 in Oct. First time trying to raise newts. Not sure how mature it is.
63degrees.
No test. Others doing good.
Krill,shrimp, blood worms.

I purchased 5 in Oct. First time trying to raise newts. Not sure how mature it is.
63degrees.
No test. Others doing good.
Krill,shrimp, blood worms.
Is this being kept aquatic?

You should get a test kit if being kept aquatic. 95% (or more) of the time problems with aquatic animals are a result of bad water condition. This is not something that can be seen by the naked eye nor is the behavior of other animals meaningful here. One animal could be more stressed to begin with and that stress can be further enhanced by bad conditions. If in the USA, the cheapest test kit is the API Freshwater Master Test kit. You can get it at any big box pet store and most local pet stores as well as online.

In the meantime, start doing 90+% water changes. Do them once a day until you get your test kits in.

Is the newt eating at all? Again, pictures would be very helpful here.

Good luck,

Is this being kept aquatic?

You should get a test kit if being kept aquatic. 95% (or more) of the time problems with aquatic animals are a result of bad water condition. This is not something that can be seen by the naked eye nor is the behavior of other animals meaningful here. One animal could be more stressed to begin with and that stress can be further enhanced by bad conditions. If in the USA, the cheapest test kit is the API Freshwater Master Test kit. You can get it at any big box pet store and most local pet stores as well as online.

In the meantime, start doing 90+% water changes. Do them once a day until you get your test kits in.

Is the newt eating at all? Again, pictures would be very helpful here.

Good luck,
Thank you. I'll get it tomorrow. Right now the male is nestled up to her.

Attachments

• 20231220_130934.jpg
    20231220_130934.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 58
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back