Question: Can 2 different types newts have babies?

ecampbell

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently got an alpine newt and a danube crested newt, today I found that the alpine is a female, with the danube crested being a male. They are currently in the same enclosure, but I do not want baby newts betwixt the two, can they breed since they are different types? Should I put them in separate enclosures or am I safe to keep them together?

I recently got an alpine newt and a danube crested newt, today I found that the alpine is a female, with the danube crested being a male. They are currently in the same enclosure, but I do not want baby newts betwixt the two, can they breed since they are different types? Should I put them in separate enclosures or am I safe to keep them together?
They might be able to: Google Scholar

The introgression uncovered in that paper is ancient and there doesn't seem to be any evidence for contemporary gene flow between genera. I think you are pretty safe with respect to avoiding offspring. There is a considerable size difference in those two species that could result in some issues but if your enclosure is large and you pay attention at feeding time it would probably work out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back