Please help me and my Axolotl!

Cheri1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i bought an Axolotl yesterday, the guys that sold him to me said he would be fine, was very dosile and would just sit at the bottom. Anyway, ive just come home and his feathery gills round his head have been eaten off! Ive taken him out the tank and put him in a large bucket for the moment to get him away from the other fish. Is he going to die? I read somewhere that their gills will grow back? Oh please help, i feel devastated that this has happened. He looks all bald now! :(
Also if they do grow back...how long does that take?

Last edited:
Hi Cheri,
Sorry to hear about your axie. What fish did you have him in the tank with? Really axolotls are better off without any other tank companions. The only fish suitable to keep with an axolotl is feeder fish, such as guppies, platys or minnows etc.
You will have to remove the fish from the tank and find them a new home, or else find your axie a new home!
As far as the gills go, yes, axolotls DO regenerate their gills, but it takes time and if ALL the gills have completely gone your axolotl may have some trouble getting enough oxygen in his system. I assume he/she will just gulp air from the surface more often, but I'm not sure about this.
You will need to keep an eye on your axies health, to make sure no infection or fungus develops around the gill area. Also you need to ensure your water quality is up to scratch, lower temperatures will help de-stress your axie and also help him heal, a short stay in the fridge may indeed help him de-stress further. If you need more information about this there's plenty of threads about fridging in the forums.

Hi Cheri,

You must be very worried. It would have been much better if you have researched about axolotls and their care before you purchased a pet.

Axolotls should not be kept with other species. As you have discovered, some fish nibble on their gills. You have to remove your axolotl immediately from the fish. You can use the water from your current aquarium tank if you do have a separate established tank set up.

Axies can regenerate and heal so in time the gills will grow back although it may not be as perfect as before. However to ensure that, you have to ensure your water quality is good, that you are feeding nutritious food and monitoring for any signs of secondary infections.

To summarise, if you have a separate tank, put your axie in that tank with water from your current tank and top up a little bit (20%) with clean dechlorinated water from your tap. Otherwise, you can put your axie in the fridge (4 degree celsius) for the time being. Simply place it in a container large enough to allow it to stretch its limbs and tail fully. Fill the water such that it fully submerges the axie without making it float. Use a perforated lid or netting cover. Perform daily water changes with clean dechlorinated water stored in bottles in the fridge. Offer it food daily and remove uneaten food and wastes.

I sense you are not very familiar with axolotl keeping so i would like to recommend you to go over these articles.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml

http://www.axolotl.org/

Cheers

Hi Kerry,thanks for replying. i Just am in despair. i dont know what to do. i dont have anywhere to house him, this may sound odd but is he ok where he is for now? Until i find something else to do. And seriously do you mean put him in the fridge?? how long should i leave him in there for?
He was in there with a massive mixture of tropical fish, gourami's, pleco's, parrot fish, and the one that did this to him was, i think, the red tailed shark. I cant believe they sold him to me when i told them what i have in my tank. im not worried about the money, its the cruelty ive put him through. :(

Hi Cheri,

Unfortunately even though it sounds horrid, i have to tell you the truth. You have to move your axolotl immediately from the current tank. There are species of fish in there that are aggressive and would literally torture your axie as long as it is in there with them. Red tailed sharks are notorious for being aggressive and i am not surprised if it took a bite out of your axie.

If you do not have another tank, you might like to follow the recommendation i provided in my earlier post to fridge him in a container. You can leave it in there for even up to a month provided you perform daily water changes and offer food. Be sure to look for another tank meanwhile though because im sure you don't want to leave your axie in the fridge permanently.

Sadly not all pet shops are ethical. Sometimes they just want to make money and would do anything to make a sales. It is far better off to get accurate information here rather than rely on what they say.

Regards

Dark Maverick has already explained about the fridging procedure, I assume you have read this by now.
Unfortunately all some pet shops care about is the next pound in the till I'm sorry to say.
You obviously have a tropical set-up there for your fish, this means you will definately need to find a new home for your axolotl and soon! He will be fine in the fridge for now, but obviously you would like to see your new pet and not have him permanently residing in the fridge. When setting up a new tank for him please make yourself familiar with the needs of axolotls and the cycling process of tanks.
Such a shame you didn't visit this site before you got your axolotl, but you can rectify this by doing the best you can for him from here on in. (By the way I say 'him' just because it's easier than typing out he/she every time!)
Keep posting here if you need more help.

thankyou all for your posts, ok so far he is in a plastic bowl and in the fridge!? my flatmate is gonna have a heartattack!! just so im definitely definitely clear...i can leave him in there overnight?

I do have a coldwater tank also but it has goldfish in...i presume i cannot put him in there either for now?

I do wish i had read up, i just trusted what the guy said to me, he seemed to know so much! clearly not!! They even have them in a tank along with tropical fish!! shall i give him any food tonight, or is he just gonna be in shock?

i sorry me again...ive just remembered i have an old fish tank up in the loft...so just got it down. Can someone please help me set this up. do i put anything in there...i.e stones at the bottom etc? do i just set this up like an aquarium for him? and do i fill it right up or just a few inches? I feel so relieved ive found him a home now rather than him being in the fridge in a container!

(oh by the way...just going over the old posts...when i said "sounds odd but can i leave him where he is" i meant can i leave him in the bowl...i had of course, removed him from the tank the moment i saw what had happened to him.

Thanks for you help!

Not with goldfish either...it'll be fine in the fridge ...or anywhere cool. As long as the water doesn't drop below 5 degrees or over 20 degrees it'll be fine.

Hi Cheri,

He is fine in the plastic bowl in the fridge. Do put on a perforated lid or netting to prevent him jumping out. Yes you can leave him there overnight and for the next few days in fact. Just remember to change his water daily and offer him food daily.

You can offer him a small quantity of food tonight. Observe for 15 min or so and if he doesn't eat them, you can remove it. I would elaborate on nutrition further down the post. Your axie would take some time adjusting to the new environment so may be inappetant initially.

No, it is not advisable to put him in the goldfish tank either. It would inevitably end up in disaster. Either he would be nibbled at by the goldfish or the goldfish would end up being nibbled by him. Parasites and diseases can also be introduced to one another.

I would not buy things from that aquarium shop if i were you. Seems like they are either that ignorant or simply have no concern about animal welfare. I would have a quiet word with them first to let them know their practice is wrong to give them benefit of the doubt. However if they remain adamant, such places ought not to have support at all.

I know there would be so much reading up to do but i guess i shall give you a quick overview of the main areas of axolotl care.

Water condition - Temperature should be around 18 degree celsius optimally. There should not be excessive water currents. Water chemistry should read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, <60 nitrates, pH should be neutral around 7. You should always use a decholorinator everytime you perform a water change.

Tank condition - Should ideally have at least 2 hiding places per axie. Hiding places could be pipes, brick caves, pots, plants, logs etc. You should keep the tank bare bottomed or if you want a substrate, use freshwater aquarium sand, children play sand or pool filter sand. Other sand types are not suitable. Do not use gravel, pebbles, marbles or anything that can be swallowed. These can cause impaction and death.

Tankmates - Axolotls can be kept with other axolotls of similar size. You should not keep fish etc. with them. You can however keep a small number of platys, guppies or minnows as feeder fish in the same axie tank. You have to quarantine them for about 30 days beforehand though. These fish species are not aggressive.

Nutrition - Feed a variety of food. Staples include axolotl pellets, bloodworms, blackworms, earthworms. Treats include bits of shrimp, fish, beef heart etc.

Cheers

ok thank you thats great. i have a spare tank which im just about to set up,was just waitin for advice. so i'l put him in here tonight, i only have stones so will just leave it with nothing at the bottom for tonight. so fill it right up with water?

i am definitely speaking to that shop tomorrow, ive tried to call today but i think they are shut due to the snow today. to me, that man should be sacked...how many others is he gonna sell to people giving the same advice? And ive read these lovely little guys are endangered as well and people like him are killing them!

Yes Cheri, Fill up the tank, the more water you have the easier it is to keep the levels right (Ammonia, nitrate etc) But be aware, axolotls can jump! If you don't have a lid for the tank then make sure you have about 3 inches gap from the water surface to the lip of the tank. Also make sure you dechlorinate your water (water conditioner, chlorine remover or stress zyme etc) If you have none, then leave the water to stand for 24 hours before you put in your axolotl. Another point, please don't put your axie in just a bare tank, you need some sort of hiding place, as darkmaverick mentioned. Finally, be aware that axolotls need at least 18 inches of floor length when in their tank (when fully grown) so bear this in mind when setting up a tank.

Last edited:
Thank you for the posts everyone. So far he is in a barebottomed tank but does had a log in there which he likes to hide under. i totally love him. i have changed his water today. although ive just read this now so the water is only 5 or 6 inches full. i thought he had to come up and get air? So i'll put some more water in tonight now. unfortunately i dont have any dechlorinate so should i just leave the level that he is in and get some dechlorinate tomorrow and then fill up more water? he does seem happy enough...not eating though, but swimming around quite confidently.

i did go back to the shop today and spoke to the manager, i do go there often so he did listen to my complaint as i have never complained before. i told him who it was that sold 'Reggie' to me and the terrible advice he gave me and he assured me he would speak to him about that and make sure that doesnt happen again. he said if i dont have the set up for Reggie, i could take him back and he would personally take him home and nurse him back to health. But i really love him already and i want to make sure he gets well again, but im not sure if im doing right by him. the tank he is in is 125 litre tank, so not all that big and i dont seem to have all these stuff i need. What should i do? Trust this man will do as he says or look after him myself and try and get him well again?

Hi Cheri,

Glad you are following the advice to care for Reggie now.

Dechlorinators are the most basic necessity to axolotl (and even fish) keeping. You really need to get one, fast. You should perform your water changes ONLY after you used a dechlorinator.

Axolotls can breathe through their gills, their skin, through the oral mucosa as well as taking gulps of air through their rudimentary lungs. If you perform daily water changes with clean dechlorinated water while in the fridge, i would not worry too much about aeration for the time being. You can however start preparing your new tank setup (filter/airstone etc), remembering not to create excessive currents.

Its good that you had a word with the shop manager. I can't really decide for you what to do with Reggie now. If you are patient and read through how to take care of axolotls carefully from this site, i believe you still can make a difference to Reggie. However, honestly, i feel that currently you are rather unprepared and are struggling still. I really hope you would be able to get all the information here and grasp the basics of axolotl care.

Cheers

Cheri, Ray and Kerry are giving you excellent advice and I hope that you are able to calm down some after the initial panic. I bought my axolotls as an impulse buy, too, and kept them with goldfish and a catfish... Like I did, you are here now, learning, and so you are well on your way to being an informed axolotl keeper.

Ray, I just want to interject that dechlorinator is only necessary if the water has chloramines. If the water company treats the water with chlorine, chlorine will evaoprate. You can fill buckets with water from, say, a shower head to speed up evaporation, or you can let the water sit for a few minutes, hours, overnight. Chloramines do not evaporate, though, and a dechlorinator is necessary. In the US and Australia, water companies commonly use one or both chemicals to treat water and dechlorinators are indispensible; here in Germany, for example, they don't and we can take water right from the tap.

I don't know how it is in the UK so, Cheri, you can contact your local water company (either by phone or visit their website) to find out if they use chlorine/chloramines to treat your water. If they don't, you don't need a dechlorinator - one less expense and one less chemical in the water.

Lastly, just the tip that while your axolotl is in the fridge, you should have an extra bottle of (dechlorinated if nec.) water in the fridge with him so that when you do the water change, the fresh water has the same temperature as the water in the container.

Good luck to you,

-Eva

I read that you haven't put Reggie in the fridge yet, any reason why not? Do you have a suitable container? As Ray said you need to get dechlorinator ASAP, (I believe it's a necessity here in the UK Eva) once Reggie is in the fridge he will need 100% water changes every day with dechlorinated, refridgerated water. You really should get him in the fridge while you sort his tank out, especially after the trauma of being attacked by fish he may well succumb to fungus if not in the best quality water (As you have yet to cycle your tank)
Fill up a bucket with tap water and let it sit, as Eva said, so that the chlorine will evaporate, you can then use this water in the fridge for water changes until you get the dechlorinator.
Good Luck!

Hi shellysue,

What an interesting thought. Well i suppose rainwater will definitely be unlikely to have chlorines or chloramines but then again rain water accumulates pollutants from the air. These include aerosol chemicals, even toxic acid rain can come from places that are highly polluted.

So to be safe, i would say not.

Cheers

PS. I like how you think outside the box though :happy:

I have orchids and they can't take any solids in the water it clogs the pores in the roots, so i have a little gadget that read the total dissolved solids in water. Our tap water reads 300-350 average, but rain water is usually about 20. I wondered if the rainwater not containing much of anything might be as much a problem as containing too much. I live in the country, city rainwater might be a bit different.

I should think that the biggest problem with rainwater, assuming it isn't acid rain, of course, would be that it is soft. Harder water acts as a buffer against swings in pH (did I get that right?) and is therefore desirable, but of course an axolotl can also live in softer water. The main thing is just to avoid drastic changes in water quality.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
    AxieCrazy: My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple... +1
    Back