Axies and Crickets

K

kaysie

Axies and crickets mix like sharks and humans. lol. I didnt expect them to come up to the surface to eat the crickets, but they did. they are good little hunters! It took them a few tries to figure out how to catch them, but they like crickets :D and here I thought a dozen crickets would go to waste.

I never thought to try crickets with my axies, I buy them and feed the Jacksons Chameleons that live wild around my house but thats about it. Maybe next time I buy Jackson food I will save a little for my Axols!

I have used crickets and grasshoppers for occasional axolotl food for a long time.

I have never made them (playing theme from jaws) eat them from the surface though. I have always "handed the insect" to them.

I pull the back legs off of larger grasshoppers before they are fed. I think they would be hard to digest because they are so hard and thick. And if the hoppers are alive they could scratch the axolotl with them.

if you put crickets in the water and leave them there they wont be able to jump out will they? although i have a big massive plant in there that reaches the top.

by the way..i know that you dont have to have the water right to the top but is it that it *should* only be about 10 inches-ish high? because my tank is 18 or 20 inches high i dunno but its right to the top-ish because i have a shelf half way that water needs to go over.

think im gonna put jarred in the big tank now! hes like 6 inches. but cecil stil hasnt grown. still 2-3 inches ish. feel bad on jarred though because hes made friends with a baby gourami.

Jenny, the reason you have the water not to the top is so the axolotls cant jump out. I dont recommend you putting crickets in your tank; I did so as an experiment. If you plan on putting these two axolotls together, with such a size difference, I expect the smaller one to be bullied. You should really stop buying axolotls and take care of the ones you have.

i dont keep buying them. i havent bought one for a good 7 days now :p

i havent bought one for a few months or something i dunno. but i am not planning on buying any more unless i find a white albino, which i will be able to care for. exactly like i am able to care perfectly well for the ones i currently have. one of them went in at around 6 inches and he was perfectly fine and if i find he is being bullied which he shouldnt because he has pleanty of room to move around and hide, then i will remove him! so i would appreciate it if you dont keep telling me i dont know how to look after them. you have no right to and i know from other messages you have p'd other people off by telling them they dont know how to look after their axies. you might care alot about the wellbeing of animals but you should be thankful people like me are coming into this forum to find out questions that they ask and not just hoping they know how to look after them! and then findin that die on them!

I dont want this to turn into a slagging match but Jenny, you should take your own advice on this one, with those salamanders you brought.

I have used crickets with many aquatic species before including Axolotls, but they must be removed if not eaten in a few hours as they will drown, swell, break up and foul the water very quickly.

If you put a 3.5" axie in with a tank of adults, its going to be bullied. But you should KNOW better than to put fish in your tank. Gourami's are much more warm-water loving than axies. You have not once EVER taken advice from anyone on this thread. You ask for advice, and then disregard it totally and buy more animals, or put in fish, or do this or do that. Its not MY fault that you dont take advice.

On a side note, many gouramis can be very aggressive fish; I wouldn't put it past them to pick on a slow-moving axolotl every now and then, not to mention they like warm water (upper 70s to low-mid 80s for some species).
~Mike

i know but the heater in their tank broke and has either caused some kind of damage on their tank to make it leak or it is leaking for another reason so they were put in with my two axies for a bit because thay had a bigger tank.

plus gouramis are in tropical fish books as community fish. and pet shops i have asked about them have said they are very friendly. and the few days they were together they were fine. plus i dont plan on puttin my axy that is 3inches in my big tank. i am putting the one that is 6 inches in.
and if i ask a question i do take their advice! but if say people are talking about their tank set ups and i say mine and then you come out with its not big enough blah blah blah then i dont care, especially seeing as i didnt even ask you! and when my tank before hand that you said was to small, and it started leaking i DID then got a bigger tank! and im not going to take your advice bcos i KNOW it is now big enough and if you want i will even start quoting things from books that i have read!

AND, my salamanders are fine. They are currently in an 18" but i am gettinng a 20 something inch one but the one they are in at the moment IS fine even though one of you said it was too small.

be happy that at least i asked about them! its better me getting them than someone else! and its better me getting them than them staying at the pet shop!!!! a lot of you are just d!cks and think you know better than every one! but this forum is here to advise people on how to look after their pets and if someone comes in asking and you start moaning at them because they should have checked up first then a lot of them will probably just think sod it im not putting up with that resulting in them not knowing how to look after the animal properly!

Why did you have a heater in their tank? There's no need for a heater in an axolotl tank unless the tank is kept outside.

you said it yourself, GOURAMIS ARE TROPICAL FISH. Axolotls are COLD WATER animals. you cant put tropical fish in cold water. And you cant put fish in with axies. You've been a member for 4 months, and you've read all the posts saying DONT PUT IN FISH, and you STILL do it.

Personally, I DONT think a 4 foot tank is big enough for 7 axies. And I think almost everyone would agree with me. an 18" long tank is big enough for 1 axie. 1. not 7. You're worse than a petshop.

Books dont always spew the truth, Jenny. You're 18 years old. You need to realize this.

4 feet = 48 inches, not 18.

I think the heater malfunction was in the gourami tank. Kaysie's right though Jenny, fish shouldn't be kept wit axies- axolotl gills look an awful lot like bloodworms, a favourite fishy snack. I do understand having to put the fish somewhere in an emergency though! Several years ago I woke up to find my goldfish tank with less than an inch of water left in it and all the fish lying on their sides gasping! The tank had been running for 6 years without a hitch. Leaky tanks suck. Hopefully you'll be able to move the gourami out before it figures out how tasty those gills are...

I'll second that Leah, I have personal experience of fish having a nibble at their gills. It happened when i tried feeder fish. Never will i try that again!

Jenny,

I have a tropical fish tank, one thing I noticed is that no matter what books and shops say the gourami in our tank does bully the other fish. I can understand the reason for putting the fish in the axie tank, but best not leave them in there for long as Leah said they do look very tasty those gills.

As a general rule, I would personally say that a good size is just under a foot per axie. so in a 2ft I would say 3 as a max, in a 4ft I would say 6 as a max. But in these conditions the water quaility should be kept a close eye on, as they may and are more than likely at some point to over load the bio filter.

As Jenny already has 7 in this tank I would just say PLEASE check the water quality every week if not every other week. As you could end up with some sick axies.

none of my axies are full length though. the biggest is like 8 inches or something. and the smallest is 3 inches which isnt in the tank and prob never will bcos he hasnt grown in the few months ive had him.

none of them are active either bar one.

and im not worse than a pet shop. i was talking about my sals in an 18 inch tank. the pet shop were feeding them a couple of crickets once every two weeks and they need more than that everyday!

Jenny, i wish you every success with your animals and like you say at least your trying to learn more by coming to this forum. All herp keepers had to start somewhere.People are just trying to help you to avoid mistakes that most of us have made at some point.

Kaysie, i think the 18" is what she's keeping her pair of terrestrial salamanders in?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
    AxieCrazy: My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple... +1
    Back