Hia - I’m new!

Sazzarooo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’ve joined this forum for excellent feedback as I feel like throwing the towel in re cycling my tank! I’m also posting with some dread because I have already researched it in depth, tried it all and failed, and this is after successfully cycling a tank in the past.
I admit that I simply do not know what is going on! : (

I’m left with assuming a three foot tank is not big enough for two Axis.

Yes, I’m using a kit. Yes, Im doing water changes. Yes, I have Java fern. Yes, it reads as cycled before I put them in. They’re fed a large worm every other day. They appear to be healthy - but they have spent much of their lives out of the tank as they go in and then the levels change.

Please, only seasoned Axi keepers feedback.

Big thanks in advance.
Saz

the main issue a small tank will suffer is high nitrate levels and possible ph swings if the kh isn't adequate enough.
what is the depth and width of the tank?
the majority of cycling issues are due to size of filter, inadequate oxygenation, amount of bio-media, ph, how it was cycled.
axolotl tanks are normally cycled at 4ppm ammonia, this is to ensure that the filtration is able to cope with the waste produced by an adult axolotl.
ph lower than 7 can reduce the speed at which ammonium breaks down into free-ammonia to the degree that the cycle can crash, always ensure ph is above 7 with ph of 7.4-7.6 being ideal, if the ph is erratic/swings etc.. check kh for adequate level.
filtration for axolotl tanks should be at least double tank capacity, axolotl tanks tend to be bare bones with a reduced amount of substrate etc.. this means that nearly all the biological filtration is done by the filter, axolotls are carnivorous which means that their waste is high in nitrogen compounds ie.. ammonia, this means that there needs to be a large enough amount of bio-media for ammonia/nitrite bacteria to colonise.
the bacteria that consume/convert ammonia/nitrites are aerobic which means they require oxygen, always ensure adequate water oxygenation.
once cycled do a water change weekly, the nitrate levels will help dictate how much water will need to be replaced but over 50% isn't recommended as it can damage the biological filtration (always useful to use bottled bacteria 24hrs after a water change).
using a small amount of salt (some plants can't tolerate even low levels) can help reduce the effects of nitrogen compound swings as well as helping protect against common issues that axolotls are prone to.
ensure adequate kh and gh levels, using solutions such as holtfreters can correct kh gh problems.
be aware that if using daily poop/waste clean up levels can spike if there is a sudden increase in waste (this can be due to fecal matter or food waste being missed) this is due to a reduced level of biological filtration due to lack of bacteria food.

Tank: 80x40x30cm
X2 filters (one with spray attachment)
X6 moss balls
X1 java fern
Pebbles, sand and accessories

08/12/23:
Ph 7.6
Am 0
Ni 0
Nitra 20
Temp 68

Since then am rose, nit rose, nitra rose
Am fell ni fell, nitra fell
Tank read as cycled several times
Axis went in, Ph fell, nit rose, nitra rose
Axis tubbed
Water change - reads cycled

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Second method.
Add amm up to 4ppm
Eventually cycled
Axis in
Repeat of above
Axis tubbed

All water changes with Seachem Prime and done when levels decline or once or twice per week. Large water change re decline. 25% if once or twice per week.

Amm seems to stabilise. Little change.
Ph used to be stable.
Nit and Nitra rise.

Attachments

• IMG_9043.jpeg
    IMG_9043.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9044.jpeg
    IMG_9044.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9045.jpeg
    IMG_9045.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Tank: 80x40x30cm
X2 filters (one with spray attachment)
X6 moss balls
X1 java fern
Pebbles, sand and accessories

08/12/23:
Ph 7.6
Am 0
Ni 0
Nitra 20
Temp 68

Since then am rose, nit rose, nitra rose
Am fell ni fell, nitra fell
Tank read as cycled several times
Axis went in, Ph fell, nit rose, nitra rose
Axis tubbed
Water change - reads cycled

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Second method.
Add amm up to 4ppm
Eventually cycled
Axis in
Repeat of above
Axis tubbed

All water changes with Seachem Prime and done when levels decline or once or twice per week. Large water change re decline. 25% if once or twice per week.

Amm seems to stabilise. Little change.
Ph used to be stable.
Nit and Nitra rise.

Attachments

• IMG_9016.jpeg
    IMG_9016.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9015.jpeg
    IMG_9015.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
your measurements are for a 25 gallon which is a bit cramped for two axolotls (adults can be up to 18"/46cm although most are around 10"/25cm)
increase the water depth (shouldn't be an issues of jumping out if there is a lid), water temperature is high (ideal is 15°c/59°f-18°c/64°f, closer to 15°c/59°f better).
use spray bar on both filters to reduce pressure, what media is in the filters.
if ph drops to 7 add enough bicarbonate of soda to increase to 7.4-7.6
add air stones to increase oxygenation, ensure sand is turned over regularly to prevent debris and gas build up.

your measurements are for a 25 gallon which is a bit cramped for two axolotls (adults can be up to 18"/46cm although most are around 10"/25cm)
increase the water depth (shouldn't be an issues of jumping out if there is a lid), water temperature is high (ideal is 15°c/59°f-18°c/64°f, closer to 15°c/59°f better).
use spray bar on both filters to reduce pressure, what media is in the filters.
if ph drops to 7 add enough bicarbonate of soda to increase to 7.4-7.6
add air stones to increase oxygenation, ensure sand is turned over regularly to prevent debris and gas build up.
Thank you for all of that. 🙏🏻
Agreed, I have been trying to rehome one for weeks because I don’t have anywhere for a larger tank.

The filter media in each is a beige sponge, black sponge, and balls.
Can I put the bicarb in with them in the tank?
Can you recommend really quiet air-stones because the tank is in my bedroom?

if you can remove sponge from one of the filters and replace with bio-media, have mainly sponge in other (this will allow one to remove mainly debris whilst the other deals with the ammonia etc..).
bicarbonate of soda can be added whilst they are in the tank but do it gradually because of the ph increase.
api do a quiet air pump, use either limewood air stones or air stones that produce very fine bubbles to maximise the amount of dissolved oxygen.

if you can remove sponge from one of the filters and replace with bio-media, have mainly sponge in other (this will allow one to remove mainly debris whilst the other deals with the ammonia etc..).
bicarbonate of soda can be added whilst they are in the tank but do it gradually because of the ph increase.
api do a quiet air pump, use either limewood air stones or air stones that produce very fine bubbles to maximise the amount of dissolved oxygen.
Ok.
Please send me a link to the bio media you mention

the bio-media can be anything from alfagrog to ceramic balls, if there's no grill over the motor inlet in the filter then larger media will be more suitable to prevent them from jamming the impeller where as if there is a guard then small media can be used.
most can be brought on ebay amazon and any good pet shop/garden center.

Attachments

• alfagrog.jpg
    alfagrog.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 14
  • bio balls.jpg
    bio balls.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 12
  • ceramic bio balls.jpg
    ceramic bio balls.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 14
  • ceramic bio beads.png
    ceramic bio beads.png
    728.2 KB · Views: 12
  • ceramic rings.jpg
    ceramic rings.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 13
  • seachem matrix.jpg
    seachem matrix.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 9
the bio-media can be anything from alfagrog to ceramic balls, if there's no grill over the motor inlet in the filter then larger media will be more suitable to prevent them from jamming the impeller where as if there is a guard then small media can be used.
most can be brought on ebay amazon and any good pet shop/garden center.
Thank you.

Please advise me what to do now, in the face of this test?

Attachments

• IMG_9051.jpeg
    IMG_9051.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
I would normally recommend removing your axolotls whilst there are trace nitrites.
get some pond filter start and add some 24hrs after the last water change is done.
do a 50% water change, 24hrs later do a further 50% after 24hrs retest then do another 50% water change repeat daily until the nitrates are 10-20ppm.
the water changes will bring the ph up but test it every couple of days, if it starts to drop add bicarb to bring it back up.
once the tank is stable do weekly water changes up to 50%.
add the filter start 24hrs after doing any large water changes, pond bacteria tends to be cheaper but more suitable for axolotl tanks plus only a small amount is required so it lasts a while.
add 2g/l non-iodised salt into any water that your axolotls are in, this will be beneficial as it will help protect against spikes as well as common illnesses, consider using 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate if you are continuing to struggle with the ph, info here.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
make sure to give the moss balls a gentle squeeze into old clear tank water every other week as they can rot from the inside out if not careful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back